Head of Engineering
LA, SF, NYC Preferred (Remote OK) /
Product Engineering /
Islands is a technology company that builds economic infrastructure for the community economy. Communities of all sizes can use our software to manage digital assets and pay people and projects globally. Our vision is to create a new community platform that is open and accessible.
We are funded by major VC funds and individuals such as founders and executives from Reddit, Twitch, Shopify, Notion, Coinbase, and more.
We're looking for a seasoned engineering leader to help us build the best platform and a highly effective team. This is a leadership position that works closely with the founders and manages the product engineering team to bring our vision to reality.
Here's what your day to day responsibilities looks like:
- Manage process, people, and technology
- Work with founders on company strategy to balance product priorities with business objectives
- Increase product velocity while maintaining a high bar for quality
- Recruit and retain a next-level team
- Help build a culture that balances innovation, diversity, and execution
- Build relationships internally and externally including but not limited to users, customers, partners, and developers
↳ Process: what occurs when?
↳ People: who's involved and how are they motivated?
↳ Technology: what will we use to get there?
Here's what we're looking for in an ideal candidate:
- 5+ years of experience as an individual contributor building full stack web and mobile software products that are robust and scalable
- 5+ years of experience as a people manager
- Experience recruiting, mentoring, and retaining high-performing engineering teams along with leading technical architecture and sprint planning
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to collaborate with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
Bonus if you have this:
- Experience as a head of engineering or engineering leader at an early stage startup (managing over 25+ people)
- Experience building and scaling a full-stack product team
- Experience building and scaling products at scale
Islands is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our business better. If you think you're a good match for our vision and values, we'd love to hear from you!
We're honored you're considering joining us.