LA, SF, NYC Preferred (Remote OK) /
Product Engineering /
Islands is a technology company that builds economic infrastructure for the community economy. Communities of all sizes can use our software to manage digital assets and pay people and projects globally. Our vision is to create a new community platform that is open and accessible.
We are funded by major VC funds and individuals such as founders and executives from Reddit, Twitch, Shopify, Notion, Coinbase, and more.
We’re an early-stage startup that believes thoughtfully designed software can have a positive influence on culture and creativity. We’re looking for a strong product designer to join our team and lead all aspects of product design at Islands.
As one of two founding designers on the team, you’ll get to work at all levels: everything from contributing to the product ideation and strategy, all the way through to crafting delightful micro-interactions. Succeeding in this role will require effectively balancing the immediate needs of the business and consumers while making progress against long term strategic efforts that we hope will unlock economic value for creators and their communities through simplicity and delight.
We're particularly interested in hearing from candidates with prior experience building and leading product design & strategy for products or platforms from early to hyper-growth scale and strong product management skills in a remote or hybrid-remote setting. Our ideal candidate would be comfortable diving into Figma, front end code, or even product specs but can also focus on building and shaping an enduring product design and engineering culture.
Our Product Designer can be based anywhere in US.
- Define the user experience, interactions, and user interface through user flows, information architecture, sketches and wireframes, and visual design
- Help shape the product strategy and vision
- Build functional prototypes to validate and test your designs
- Leverage user research, testing and data to drive product decisions
- Look for opportunities to solve problems in unique and innovative ways
- Help maintain visual and brand consistency between all products and outlets
- Collaborate with stakeholders to translate business goals into unique product experiences
We're Looking For Someone Who Has:
- Deep product design expertise spanning web, desktop, and mobile for 5+ years in fast-paced creative environments
- You are obsessed with breaking new creative ground, through crafting the best ideas and telling the best stories of their kind
- Skilled storyteller and ‘conceptor’, with experience working in a multidisciplinary environment to develop concepts that delight customers and deliver business results
- Possess not just exceptional product design skills, but the ability to implement strategic and conceptual thinking as well
- Strong information presentation (visual and written) skills including a compelling portfolio of work that demonstrates high-quality design work that also tells a story that you are a deep design thinker
- Experience with Figma, Adobe Photoshop, CSS, and Typescript
Any combination of the following would make your application stand out
- You've previously been an early employee, founder, or design leader at a consumer social or commerce startup
- You have a deep understanding of the creator economy space and the evolving considerations relating to creator monetization and payments
- You have a general understanding of blockchains and cryptocurrency concepts including but not limited to Ethereum, Smart Contracts, Non-custodial Wallets, and Non-fungible Tokens
Our mission is to help build an open creator economy that supports creators who come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our business better. If you think you're a good match for our vision and values, we'd love to hear from you!
Islands is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our business better. If you think you're a good match for our vision and values, we'd love to hear from you!
We're honored you're considering joining us.