LA, SF, NYC Preferred (Remote OK) /
Product Engineering /
Islands is a technology company that builds economic infrastructure for the community economy. Communities of all sizes can use our software to manage digital assets and pay people and projects globally. Our vision is to create a new community platform that is open and accessible.
We are funded by major VC funds and individuals such as founders and executives from Reddit, Twitch, Shopify, Notion, Coinbase, and more.
We’re an early-stage startup that believes blockchain protocols can play a critical role in furthering our mission to pioneer an open creator economy. We’re looking for a strong backend engineer to join our team and lead all aspects of blockchain network and protocol strategy at Islands. As the lead protocol engineer on the team, you’ll get to work at all levels: everything from contributing to the product roadmap, all the way through to crafting a thoughtful strategy for blockchain and protocol integrations. Succeeding in this role will require effectively balancing the immediate needs of the business and consumers while making progress against long term strategic efforts that we hope will unlock economic value for creators and their communities through innovation in payments and user experience.
We're particularly interested in hearing from candidates with prior experience building and leading payments platform strategy from early to hyper-growth scale and strong engineering management skills in a remote or hybrid-remote setting. Our ideal candidate would be an experienced distributed systems engineer with a broad understanding of crypto payments networks including blockchains like Ethereum.
Our Senior Protocol Engineer can be based anywhere in US.
Here's what your day to day responsibilities looks like:
- Work closely with product engineering stakeholders to design & develop blockchain protocol integrations that advance the Islands mission to build an open creator economy
- Work closely with product engineering and business operations stakeholders to evangelize and drive adoption of crypto-first product features
- Work closely with engineering to architect and develop distributed systems that scale protocol integrations to millions of users
- Design and implement foundational protocol integrations powering our NFT community platform. This is including but not limited to Layer 1 blockchains integrations, Layer 2 scaling solutions, and sidechains
- Actively participate in the blockchain network community including but not limited to joining third party communities and discussions as well as contributing directly to new protocols and network initiatives aligned with the Islands mission
- Design and develop a service architecture that helps automate the deployment and monitoring of blockchain network and protocol infrastructure including the full lifecycle of transactions Islands would send/receive on-chain
- Develop a monitoring, alerting, and observability framework to maintain consistent user experiences and site reliability across various traditional and blockchain-enabled payment networks
Here's what we're looking for in an ideal candidate:
- 5-8+ years of experience in software engineering
- Gone through a rapid growth in your company (from 10 to 100s of engineers)
- Experience with decentralized smart contract networks (eg Ethereum, Solana, Flow etc.)
- Experience building financial services, high reliability or security systems
- Proficiency in a modern programming languages such as Go, Rust and Node
- Experience with orchestrating Ethereum infrastructure and Solidity smart contracts
- Familiarity with Go and the Kubernetes ecosystem, but you don’t necessarily need to be an expert
- Experience containerizing modern applications, particularly distributed systems like blockchain networks (though experience with blockchain networks in particular is not a requirement)
- The ability to proactively manage the needs of a growing company with minimal oversight
Bonus if you have this:
- You've previously been an early employee, founder, or engineering leader at a consumer payments or commerce startup
- You have a deep understanding of the creator economy space and the evolving considerations relating to creator monetization and payments
- You have a general understanding of blockchains and cryptocurrency concepts including but not limited to Ethereum, Smart Contracts, Non-custodial Wallets, and Non-fungible Tokens
Our mission is to help build an open creator economy that supports creators who come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our business better. If you think you're a good match for our vision and values, we'd love to hear from you!
While a degree in CS is nice, you don't need one--or any other kind of degree--to work here. Some of the best people come from non-traditional backgrounds and disciplines, and we’re dedicated to supporting our employees’ education and growth.
Islands is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our business better. If you think you're a good match for our vision and values, we'd love to hear from you!
We're honored you're considering joining us.