Lead UX Designer - Reader Experience
UX & Design /
Issuu is one of the largest content publishing and distribution platforms in the world, with millions of pieces of content (marketing collateral, magazines, catalogs, brochures and more) added every year.
At the heart of Issuu is the Issuu Story Cloud, a suite of advanced features designed to transform a single piece of content into assets for every online marketing channel, including mobile articles, email graphics, and social stories for Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest (and more). Create once, share everywhere with Issuu!
As a Design lead, you will be leading a team contributing to the Issuu user experience that scales across multiple features, products, integrations, and end-to-end scenarios.
- You will be working to design and implement a consistent and engaging user experience across our web, mobile web, and native app. You will also work to improve Issuu’s overall reading experience by enhancing how our readers discover, navigate and view content in different contexts and on different devices.
- You will also be a part of supporting the creation and maintenance of a new design system, and one that is reflective of your unique design needs.
- You are a creative problem-solver able to simplify the complex, and work iteratively to execute designs together with multiple stakeholders. Additionally, you will help visualize high-level, strategic design opportunities and tradeoffs that help guide the actions and decisions of interdisciplinary teams as we refine and enhance our product
- You will be educating others on design best practices and UX methodologies, as well as work to put them into practice in new spaces within our product.
- You will make use of demonstrable leadership skills and apply your knowledge and experience to support and guide the designers who report to you.
- You have a passion for user research, user centered design, a clear design aesthetic, and enjoy facilitating workshops.
- You have experience and interest in working on a SaaS platform with legacy, where design innovation meets platform integration.
- You will lead a team of talented designers to deliver new features, UX improvements, and user insights. We are continuously evolving our Design Library and Design System which you will also be a part of developing. This is a unique opportunity to join a growing team that's changing the face of Issuu and helping small businesses around the world build, manage, and grow.
What You Will Be Doing
- Communicating concepts, ideas and outcomes of design research to designers, marketing, product managers, and development teams
- Leading workshops, meetings, and long-term initiatives to align the work of a design team and bring out the strengths of team members
- Mentoring and supporting designers on your team
- Coordinating priorities with product and engineering managers
- Building out user journeys and creating high-level maps of the product
- Playing an active role in the recruitment of future designers
- Sketching, wireframing, prototyping, user research, usability testing
- Design System component creation and review
- Collaborating effectively with other designers, marketing, product managers, and development teams
- Working on multiple projects at one time, using strong communication skills to manage time, workflow and expectations appropriately
- Advocating for design excellence and usability, as well as a clear and coherent design process for researching, ideating, validating and implementing designs with a larger design strategy in mind
What You Bring With You
- A clear history of leading up design initiatives and fostering the success of other designers.
- A knowledge of design best practices that you are well-prepared to apply, explain, and advocate for when necessary
- 5+ years experience in product or UX design
- Inspiring portfolio demonstrating both strong UI and UX capabilities
- User research projects paired with a strong design methodology
- Great collaboration and planning skills
- Effective methods of putting user-centric organizational principles and procedures into practice
- Excellent ability to present and explain solutions and decisions to partners in a style that fosters collaboration and consensus building
- BA or MA in interaction design, communication design, industrial design, HCI, psychology, social sciences, or other relevant field
What You'll Get
- Competitive compensation package
- Meaningful equity in a profitable growth-stage company
- Health and dental insurance
- Flat structure – every opinion matters regardless of team or position
- Flexible, uncapped paid time off, in addition to company-wide holidays
The real reason to join Issuu is not all these perks, it’s our unique company culture that delivers the leading results in our industry - we ensure that by holding true to our company values of Care, Grit and Learning. Be yourself and thrive!
Founded in 2006 and headquartered in Palo Alto, with offices in Copenhagen, Berlin and Braga, Issuu is profitable, growing fast, and expanding our team across many departments. If you are a collaborative and ambitious professional looking to join a community that: deeply cares about our users and colleagues, has a growth mindset, sees and embraces challenges as a means for continuous improvement, and takes accountability to have a phenomenal impact, apply today!
Issuu is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives.