Los Angeles /
Product – Category Management /
The Product organization is responsible for creating and executing the company's product strategy. They oversee the full lifecycle of all product sold on the site from concept and design to merchandising, sourcing, planning, and inventory management. Product works cross-functionally with Operations, and Marketing to successfully bring product to life and to ensure their performance supports the company's targets and goals.
Italic is searching for an ambitious and experienced leader to oversee our Product department. This is a business-critical role that will define our product success metrics, strategy, and roadmap, and work in close partnership with the CEO and other departments to ensure the Product team is staffed properly and running at full capacity. You will be responsible for the cadence of our new product launches as well as developing a timeline to execute against.
- Build short-term (30, 90, 180 day) and long-term (1, 5, 10 year) Product goals and strategies based off of the company’s mission and vision and communicate this with your team and the rest of the company
- Be a true owner in the business and a partner to the CEO. We will collectively look to you to lead the Product team in addition to being a critical voice in the overall company strategy—we are looking for execs who can roll up their sleeves and really act as partners/owners in the business
- Build out goal-tracking in your organization (KPI/OKR tracking, recruiting, org structure, etc) and motivate your team to hit ambitious but realistic targets that you collectively set
- Uplevel the strategy, talent, and execution across your department
- Define success metrics for product launches, sell-throughs, etc for Category Managers to be held accountable for hitting—you will track performance / ensure accountability and responsibility on a rigorous, ongoing basis
- Partner with Technology to improve the Merchant Portal and automate as much of the OTB or PO generation process as possible through technology
- Closely monitor product development velocity and provide strategies or workflow improvements to speed it up without degrading product quality or hurting inventory sell-through
- Partner closely with Growth, Marketing, and Analytics to receive customer acquisition and demand forecasts to better place accurate quantities with merchants
- Partner with Creative to build an ever-improving workflow to better launch new products to customers; the Product department should own Product Marketing.
- 10+ years experience in category management, buying, or product development role at a fast-growing consumer business—experience in both retail product and technology preferred
- Highly performance oriented—you care deeply about workflows, processes, and optimization, and no detail is too small to pass over
- Customer-centricity far beyond the standard brand—every product we develop is addressing a core need of the customer
- Deep understanding of data and how to apply insights to product decisions and timelines—ability to objectively evaluate department effectiveness through a holistic, portfolio lens
- Empathy for our merchants (what we call our manufacturers, vendors, suppliers) and a willingness to go above and beyond to serve them
- Strong communication skills and demonstrated experience in leading and motivating a team through ambiguity and inevitable ups and downs
- Ability to both think strategically as a leader and execute tactically as an IC
- A deep love for both the thrill of early-stage startups and the challenges that come with scaling
- Kind, goal-oriented, and direct; you aren’t afraid to share your mind, but make sure to empower your team and peers
Italic is building the next generation "everything store." We offer quality goods straight from the same manufacturers as top brands but at 50-80% lower prices. Behind the scenes, we empower manufacturers with a full-stack solution of technology, operational network, payment orchestration, and distribution to a global consumer base so that they can become merchants themselves.
Italic is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We don't care about where you went to college or what fancy names are on your resume. Instead, we're looking for good people: good at work and have a good heart.
Our culture is centered around high performance and high conviction. We value teamwork over ostentation, fulfillment over balance, and autonomy over compliance. We care deeply about surrounding ourselves with ambitious, exceptional individuals and believe that our culture is our greatest advantage against our competitors as well as thriving as the industry changes.
Service is the bedrock on which our business is built and we believe a culture that fosters servant leadership is a truly differentiated, long-term moat that can only be built through trust. In short, nobody cares what you said, only how you made them feel.
Dare to be bold
We believe that the greatest accomplishments in history come from small, under-resourced teams facing insurmountable odds. We buck the status quo and actively seek out challenges that others would claim to be impossible.
Italic competes in a hyper-competitive industry where benchmarking against competitors is the norm. The danger of averages is in scenario where a 10% improvement over the status quo is celebrated internally but is still be a poor experience for a member or a merchant.
Team, teammate, self
Our greatest asset, and the foundation to our long-term success, is our people. We believe in small egos delivering big impact. We are encouraging, trusting, and kind, intending to inspire and empower our teammates to become the best version of themselves.
Play the long game
Our business is dependent on spinning a flywheel: the more merchants we support, the more products we can offer; the more products we offer, the more members we can attract and delight, and so on and so forth.