Games Development – RuneScape /
To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview.
Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect.
So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
We have welcomed over 285 million players to RuneScape’s world of enthralling fantasy and, together with our team of passionate game creators, our community helps to shape how our games evolve.
From casting votes on future game content, to interacting with the studio teams in live streams and in chat, we also join in person at our celebrated fan convention, RuneFest.
Together with our players, we are a united Jagex tribe. Together we are building deep and engaging multiplayer gaming experiences for players everywhere.
How you can contribute
This is a fantastic opportunity for a Character Artist looking for a varied and challenging role that encourages creative input, teamwork, and personal development. The successful applicant will join an experienced team of artists, working on our flagship PC and soon to be Mobile title RuneScape.
You will be responsible for creating a wide variety of character assets to fit into RuneScape’s medieval fantastical world. You will be collaborating with multiple departments to bring projects to fruition, working closely with concept artists, animators, and designers.
Your proven skills will contribute to the growth of the art team. You will be offering feedback to support others whilst being able to adapt and listen to feedback yourself, keeping consistency in mind to achieve the chosen art style.
A Character Artist is a highly skilled artist responsible for creating a wide variety of 3D character art assets. They are adept at liaising with artists and developers across the various disciplines.
Day to day production will be extremely varied and will range from regular worn player kit including awesome armour sets (and more bizarre kits such as oversized ogre sumo suits and fantastic mechanical inventions and weapons) as well as creatures of all shapes and sizes. All of this to a high standard and completed in a timely fashion.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create, develop and refine high quality 3D character assets ranging across creatures, humans and weapons
- Work with a variety of industry standard tools including Zbrush, Maya, Substance Painter and Marmoset Tool bag 3 to produce assets
- Work closely with Concept Artists and Animators to ensure models are designed and optimized to meet the style for PC and Mobile platforms
- Work closely with Content Developers to ensure assets are correctly implemented in the game engine
- Work with Tools Developers to troubleshoot and improve existing in-house tools
- Provide feedback to all character artists in the team in group reviews and more junior members of the team in day to day production
- Ensure game ready assets conform to the house style and are maintained through all projects within your own and colleagues work, via feedback
- Supporting Designers, Animators and QA to release high quality assets whilst being mindful of our release schedule
- Collaborating with the rest of the team to aid with future art asset and project ideas
- Working closely with the rest of the Character modelers, Character lead and art director to maintain and develop the games visual style.
What we need:
- Working knowledge of Maya
- Working knowledge of Photoshop
- Working knowledge of Zbrush
- Working knowledge of Substance Painter
- Portfolio work demonstrating stylised character artwork
- Portfolio showing examples of good human anatomy understanding
- Portfolio should include at least one game ready asset, showing efficient, high quality edge flow throughout
- Able to time manage and prioritize own work schedule
- Ability to communicate clearly, and concisely to team, peers, and management
- Professional attitude and work ethic
- Good soft skills and teamwork
Even better if:
- Degree in game art/traditional art or equivalent
- Traditional 2D art skills
- Outsource experience
- Working within our talented art team, you will:
- Assist the character team with project tasks
- Responsible for the delivery of high quality and consistent in-game character art
- Collaborate with leads and senior artists to ensure best practices and deliver consistent assets
- Apply feedback to work in a logical and consistent way
- Plan, schedule, and structure daily/weekly tasks to fit with the project schedules
- Adhere to production guides and established working conventions
- Support and promote good team and studio morale in an open, creative environment
We can only consider applicants who include evidence of their work, along with breakdowns in an online format such as personal website, blog, Github, ArtStation, or online album
THE JOB AND THE TEAM!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion, or belief
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.