Technical QA Engineer
Growth and Product Services – QA
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more 360 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Jagex Games Studio is looking for a talented Technical QA Engineer to join our team in Cambridge, UK on our award-winning games development teams.
You will benefit from reporting to Director of Quality Assurance and work in a highly talented team with QA veterans of over 10 years and be part of a growing business which has rewarding opportunities. The role offers an excellent learning environment with opportunity to work on multiple games which is complimented with a competitive salary.
As a Technical QA Engineer, you would be responsible for ensuring the high production quality of our game systems and ensuring these are robust and consistently checked. You will be involved in high-profile and challenging projects, helping ensure that we successfully deliver enhancements to our game engine technology.
- Developing and executing test scripts
- Performing pre-release validations of the game engine individually or part of a team
- Performing Tech QA services such as Performance and Compat Testing
- Documenting your planned test coverage through detailed test plans
- Perform front line testing for new game engine features
- Report, escalate and track issues found during testing to ensure that they are resolved
- Reproduce player reported issues and gather info useful to engine developers to aid fixing
- Helping roll out a world-class test automation framework to enhance the test capabilities by suggesting features and ultising existing scripts
- Provide reporting of test effort, results, and risks, from both manual and automated tests
- Keep up with current Tech trends within the industry
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in formal software testing or video games testing
- A good grasp of terminology used in an engine dev environment (such as packing, deploying, refactoring)
- Ability to work from very technically worded tasks (eg allow setcustommodel on a slot independent of config definitions) and then translate to customer facing patch notes
- Ability to code debug test scripts to push new features/commands past their limits
- An honest, confident and vocal individual that speaks up and suggests improvements be it via processes or new tools
- An individual that meets deadlines and delivers projects on time to an excellent standard
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of testing methodologies and AGILE development
- Ability to effectively perform destructive and exploratory testing without test case guidance with an eye for detail
- Gather and interpret crash logs from multiple platforms like Windows, Mac OSx or mobile
- Use various tools to capture video/images off of various devices /platforms of issues eg Vysor
- Understands the difference between a Server, Client and Module
- You have experience with JIRA and Perforce
- You have previous experience on MMO’s
- You have experience in using one or more of the following: JUnit, Python, Java, C++
- You have a computing or games related degree
- You have direct game experience on our LIVE products
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.