Technical Executive Producer
Games Development – Game Studio Management
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more 360 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
As Technical Executive Producer (Tech EP) you will work across all Game Studio initiatives and be responsible for augmenting our internal technical capabilities by partnering with external technical studios to deliver core tools and technologies that integrate with our current and future game code bases. Across a variety of locations, you will work with studios of differing sizes and capabilities, using many different engines and covering many genres. You’ll be involved in auditing the technical capabilities of potential partner studios and technical requirements and risks of their pitches; for the successful studio partners, you’ll be responsible for helping them deliver against their vision. This includes identifying key skill and technology gaps and developing plans to mitigate them. You will be responsible for ensuring the efficient management of external resources and proper achievement of internal production objectives.
The Tech EP will demonstrate a mix of strong technical and business leadership, a creative thinker, pragmatic technical thinker, entrepreneur and a great sense of what makes high quality technology work. The Tech EP will be able to assess external technical teams and have a sense for what will ultimately make a successful technical partner. You will also provide expert knowledge that will help maintain and improve the high quality of Jagex’s game projects while keeping production constraints in mind. Additionally, they will be required to successfully partner and interact with Jagex Game Studio production, internal technical game teams, tech services and technical platform teams, publishing groups and be able to act as the connecting anchor point between these business units and the external partner studios.
How you can contribute
- Excellent relationship building and collaborative skills and be able to act responsibly and diplomatically in any situation while representing Jagex.
- Audit technical capability of partner studios, identifying key strengths and weaknesses.
- Audit technical quality of all major project milestones, from inception through to final delivery.
- Responsible for ensuring external studios are identifying and managing technical risk over time.
- Risk analysis and mitigation.
- Drive external partners to successful launch and ongoing support of live service components where applicable.
- Work closely with projects stakeholders to identify outsourcing needs from several game projects developed simultaneously.
- Establish and maintain a central production schedule and keep track of multiple deliveries from different outsourcing vendors on a daily basis.
- Communicate external content production status and progress back to project teams.
- Flexibility to travel both domestically and internationally extensively and as required by the demands of the role.
What we need
- B.Sc. in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent training and professional experience.
- Extensive games industry experience, having shipped at least multiple PC or cross-platform games to high quality in an engineering role and at least one in a production role.
- Extensive experience with Java, C++, C#, and Unreal Engine 4.
- Experience in object-oriented design and implementation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of good software engineering practices.
- Good domain knowledge / experience in all areas of technical game development (AI, Rendering, Online, etc.).
- Understanding of memory management, multiple processor use, and runtime optimization.
- Constantly innovating on how to improve product quality as well as group productivity.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent proactive problem-solving skills.
- Excellent proactive decision-making capabilities.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles and solutions.
- Ideally experience working with 3rd party game engines (UE4, Unity, etc.)
- Extensive industry contacts – developers, engines, contractors, etc.
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.