Games Development – RuneScape /
To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview.
Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect.
So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an animator looking for a varied and challenging role that encourages creative input, team work and personal development. The successful applicant will join an experienced team of artists, working on our flagship PC and soon to be Mobile title RuneScape.
Main Duties and Responsibilties:
- Create, develop and refine high quality 3D animations across creatures, human characters, locations.
- Work with Maya and our in-house animation tools to produce animation assets.
- Ensure the animation quality and style is maintained through all projects within your own and colleagues work via feedback.
- Provide feedback to all animators in the team in group reviews and more junior members of the team in day to day production.
- Work with more senior animators and the lead to develop your own creative skill set.
- Work with more senior animators and the lead to develop your technical, Maya skill set.
- Work with more junior animators to develop their creative skill set.
- Work with more junior animators to develop them technically, with their Maya skill set.
- Work closely with Content Developers to ensure animations are correctly implemented in the game engine.
- Work with Tools Developers to troubleshoot and improve existing in-house tools.
- Work with Technical Artists to troubleshoot and improve existing workflows.
- Excellent key frame animation skills across creatures, set pieces and human characters
- A great eye for dynamic spacing/timing, squash and stretch and smearing
- Experience in Maya animation production, particularly for games
- Experience rigging and weighting characters in Maya
- An excellent demo reel that adequately reflects this experience, showing examples across a broad range of creatures and characters
- A keen interest in games, game animation and animation in general
- The ability to give and take critique, helping yourself and the team to develop
- To take direction and work with the Lead Animator and Art director to maintain game style and quality personally and across the team
- To be proactive and take responsibility for keeping assets optimised, organised and functioning in-game as required
- To maintain a good level of communication with all relevant team members throughout animation production and implementation
- Good knowledge of animation implementation (blend trees, state machines etc) in UE, Unity or equivalent
- Degree in Animation
- Traditional animation skills
- Traditional 2D art skills
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR ON YOUR REEL
We are primarily looking for animators who can create exciting, characterful human and creature keyframe animation with a developed sense of timing and spacing, exaggeration and stylisation. Specifically, we want to see that you can create high quality, game ready character animation across locomotion, traversal and combat with strong body mechanics.
Evidence of animations running in-engine from past projects is ideal. Reels with mostly acting and general dialogue shots are of less interest to us, as we don’t currently produce a lot of cutscene content. If they are included in support of a strong game ready reel, however, cinematics, facial performances and experience with motion capture are a bonus.
Also, we really value life drawing to demonstrate an ability in understanding key poses and anatomy, so, if you have life drawing examples please include them!
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.