Associate Game Designer - Character Abilities (Disney Emoji Blitz)
Burbank, CA /
Design – Game Design /
As a leading mobile games developer, Jam City is looking to “level up” our talent. We’re searching for innovators who consider themselves dynamic, collaborative, and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
PERKS & BENEFITS
Unlimited Vacation, Paid Sick Days & Holidays
100% Employee Covered Medical, Dental, Vision Plan Base Plan
Life Insurance, 401k, Flexible Spending Accounts, Commuter Benefits & More
Catered Lunches & Well-stocked Kitchens
Yoga & Wellness Activities
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for an Associate Game Designer to bring their game design passion to Jam City’s #1 hit mobile game Disney Emoji Blitz! This is a dream opportunity for fans of Disney and casual action mobile games.
Emoji Blitz’s character power-ups are the heart of the game, and we are looking for a designer to join that team! You will be involved in a wide variety of game tasks, including brainstorms, character ability designs, guiding development, and writing Game Design Specs. You will communicate with team members across all disciplines from art, animation, engineering, production, and audio. You will also conduct playtests and development iterations to reach our high-quality bar.
**Qualified applicants will be expected to complete a Game Design test.
- Learn and master the process of designing new Disney Emoji power-ups.
- Collaborate with the full Character Power-Up team to direct implementation of characters from initial design through development and launch.
- Support, observe and analyze playtests on Emoji character power-ups to enact effective, balanced, in-scope iterations.
- Iterate designs to hone in on the most intuitive version of every power-up. Update documentation and communicate character status to teammates.
- Write spirited character descriptions in Disney Emoji Blitz’s bubbly tone.
- Work closely with animators to ensure the intended story of each power-up is effectively translated into gameplay.
- Direct sound designers to authentically bring Disney Emoji characters to life.
- Innovate new design space to continually refresh options for new power-ups.
- Analyze and tune live Emoji characters, utilizing game economy data and device gameplay.
- Work with external partners that support the content development.
- Design and provide feedback on other new game features.
- Serious passion for games—you are a gamer and have been for years.
- Love of all things Disney, Pixar, and Star Wars.
- Minimum 1 year in a Designer position on a mobile game OR a degree in Game Design from an accredited Game Design program.
- Experience writing functional design specs writing and communicating your designs and vision to colleagues across different disciplines.
- Well-versed in game design theory, and knowledgeable on features and designs used in other top mobile games.
- Experience with Unity.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher.
- Ability to take direction.
- Strong team player w/ good people skills.
- Excitement to work on live hit mobile games!
NICE TO HAVE
- Understanding of arcade/puzzle game mechanics.
- Experience working with IP characters and following IP guidelines.
- Agile and Scrum process experience.
- Experience with live operations process, timelines, content, and planning.
- Experience working with Product Managers and looking at live data.
- Coding/Prototyping experience.
- Inspired to support a creative, collaborative design culture.
OUR COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY, & INCLUSION
We believe in creating games that unite people across the world and that showcase our commitment to providing an environment that is both inclusive and diverse for our players and employees. We strive to create a workforce that is reflective of our global player community as we know that we are stronger and better when we play together. To help promote an inclusive culture, we celebrate the visible and invisible diversity of our Jam Citizens through initiatives including Employee Resource Groups, cultural events, trainings, speaker series, and more.
Jam City is an equal opportunity employer. We enthusiastically accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, age, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, religion, ethnicity, marital, or domestic partnerships status, disability, genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing), predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, veteran status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expressions, or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws. Our management is committed to following this policy with respect to hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, recruiting, pay, and other forms of compensation, training, and general treatment during employment.
ABOUT JAM CITY
Jam City is an award-winning mobile entertainment studio providing unique and deeply engaging games that appeal to a broad, global audience.
Led by CEO Chris DeWolfe, former MySpace co-founder and CEO, and COO Josh Yguado, former 20th Century Fox executive, Jam City is the creative powerhouse behind some of the highest-grossing and most enduring mobile games. Jam City’s global franchise Cookie Jam has generated more than half a billion dollars, and Panda Pop has more than 120 million downloads to date.
The company also is the go-to studio for Hollywood, having developed immersive, narrative-rich mobile games around iconic entertainment brands. The company’s popular RPG game Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery was the #1 game in more than 40 countries at its launch in April 2018.
Jam City has nine studios located in Los Angeles (HQ), Berlin, Buenos Aires, Bogotá, Burbank, Cedar Falls, San Diego, San Francisco, and Toronto.