San Francisco, CA
Art & Animation – Art
As a leading mobile games developer, Jam City is looking to “level up” our talent. We’re on the hunt for innovators who consider themselves dynamic, collaborative and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
PERKS & BENEFITS
Unlimited Vacation, Paid Sick Days & Holidays
100% Employee Covered Medical, Dental, Vision Plan Base Plan
Life Insurance, 401k, Flexible Spending Accounts, Commuter Benefits & More
Catered Lunches & Well-stocked Kitchens
Onsite Gym & Wellness Activities (Yoga & Zumba)
ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for a super talented Principal Artist to join our talented team! You'll work with our creative team of game designers and artists to explore and iterate on gameplay and visual style. You will create visual concepts for our talented team of 3D artists and animators. Your art will be appreciated by millions of people around the world!
- Work with Art Leads and Art Directors in establishing and maintaining the look of a project.
- Assist marketing with creating fully rendered, on style, narrative illustrations used to promote our games.
- Create concepts and designs for a variety of projects. This includes characters, environments, props, vehicles, lighting, storyboards & pre-visualization studies for animation and visual effects, style & mood boards, and in game illustrations such as icons to support gameplay.
- Generate orthos and model sheets to inform stylistically accurate and well designed final game assets.
- Collaborate with game designers and project leads to rapidly explore gameplay ideas and solve visual problems.
- Provide comprehensive research, and reference material to educate the design of a given asset or idea.
- Work alongside your broader art team to brainstorm ideas and pass work between other concept artists. You’ll deliver concepts and work with the 3D team to ensure directional alignment from concept to final asset.
- Interface with Lead Artist, Art Director, Producers, and other project leads on various issues and deadlines.
- Be willing and capable of providing feedback, mentoring artists and will be called upon to deliver outsourcing feedback.
- May have one or more Concept Artist as direct reports.
- 10+ years of hands on game development experience as an artist for at least 2 shipped titles.
- Fully proficient in digital art creation tools including Photoshop and Illustrator
- Strong traditional art skills and knowledge of anatomy.
- Excellent design skills, including the effective use of color, form, lighting and composition, and the ability to apply this to both organic and hard surface designs.
- A self-directed and flexible person that is able to work within tight deadlines.
- An excellent communicator who excels in a team environment.
- Experience with the creation of concepts, orthographics, style development, and illustration.
- Passion for the craft of visual idea generation and game development.
- Comfortable revisiting work without being reticent to change.
- Ability to work in a wide variety of styles and adapt stylistically as necessary to meet the needs of any given project.
- Modeling and texturing skills using Maya, Z-brush, Mudbox, or equivalent software.
NICE TO HAVE
- A passion for games, virtual worlds, and social networking.
ABOUT JAM CITY
Jam City is an award-winning mobile entertainment studio providing unique and deeply engaging games that appeal to a broad, global audience.
Led by CEO Chris DeWolfe, former MySpace co-founder and CEO, and COO Josh Yguado, former 20th Century Fox executive, Jam City is the creative powerhouse behind some of the highest-grossing and most enduring mobile games. Jam City’s global franchise Cookie Jam has generated more than half a billion dollars, and Panda Pop has more than 120 million downloads to date.
The company also is the go-to studio for Hollywood, having developed immersive, narrative-rich mobile games around iconic entertainment brands. The company’s popular RPG game Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery was the #1 game in more than 40 countries at its launch in April 2018.
Jam City has nine studios located in Los Angeles (HQ), Berlin, Buenos Aires, Bogotá, Burbank, Cedar Falls, San Diego, San Francisco, and Toronto.