Menlo Park /
Who We Are:
January AI is a precision health company based in Menlo Park, CA. Founded in 2017 by veteran Silicon Valley business executive, Noosheen Hashemi, and renowned genomicist Mike Snyder, a pioneer in bringing Big Data into personalized medicine, January AI takes a multi-omic approach to (i) understanding the physiology and psychology of the 120 million people on the diabetes spectrum and (ii) developing smart products to help them optimize their blood sugar. By harnessing science, medicine, and machine learning, our technology discovers how diabetes affects people differently and provides specific recommendations to move them to a healthier state.
While multiple technology solutions have appeared in the last decade to address diabetes, innovation has been marginal, making the sector ripe for disruption. We’re leveraging dense data from wearables, smartphones, and digital health; and developed an ontology of 16M food items alongside algorithms like anti-cheat food detection, food recommendations for glycemic load, and 33-hour glucose curve predictions. We also employ social and gamification strategies to keep users engaged with their health and motivated to level up. Together, these tools power our lifestyle intervention programs for improved glucose regulation and metabolic health.
At January AI, we believe that every day is January 1st, that every day is a fresh start. We believe that health isn’t a place you reach, but the simple process of doing just a little better than yesterday. We believe that self-improvement is a team sport. That’s why January AI is creating a community of everyday people building their healthy habits, together. January AI is backed, among others, by Marc Benioff, Jerry Yang and Steve Chen, founders of Salesforce, Yahoo! and YouTube. If you’re ready to join our team and help grow this community, please submit your application following the link provided.
January is looking for an energetic, self-motivated and detailed oriented Visual Designer. As a hands-on designer, this person will have a key role in envisioning the user experience in collaboration with the rest of the design team. You will own the end-to-end visual design process across all of January’s product surfaces which include web, iOS and Android, as well as physical products. As this role stretches across multiple product ecosystems, you’ll collaborate cross-functionally within and beyond the design team.
In this role, you’ll be leading projects and designing interfaces and creative assets, crafting experiences for our customers to improve their health outcomes. Using your strong sense of aesthetics and production know-how, you’ll create beautiful and functional designs to make our products easy and delightful to use.
- Shipped Product with a track record of shipping beautiful visual designs and intuitive experiences on both mobile and web.
- 5 years of industry experience working on related software products (e.g. health, fitness, gaming).
- Proficient with industry standard design tools (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, Figma).
- Ability to create motion graphics to help illustrate key product concepts and to breathe life into interfaces (e.g. Principle, AfterEffects).
- Knowledgeable about technical limitations as they relate to visual design and performance.
- Able to create beautiful bespoke illustrations for both in-product and marketing purposes.
- Experienced working with design systems and maintaining organized asset management systems.
- Excellent Communicator of design work and rationale behind proposals. You can communicate complex ideas to the team and stakeholders.
- Collaborative and excited about building relationships with other teams in the company, including Engineering, Marketing, and Product Management
- Self-Organized with your time and work, and seek out resources to accomplish projects.
- Investigative and inquisitive about product goals from both a company and user perspective, fostering a learning culture both within the design team and the larger organization.
- Innovative and able to contribute new design patterns to our existing system, and pair with other designers to assist them on improving these patterns.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Bring a point-of-view around visual style, helping key stakeholders make decisions around the aesthetic direction of the product and marketing.
- Create beautiful assets that align with January’s overall design system.
- Understand, leverage and extend our design system to deliver a consistent and rich app experience.
- Collaborate with developers to craft technically mindful experiences.
- Evolve the company’s tools, processes, and communication around asset management.
- Collaborate closely with Design and Product leadership to align on delivery expectations and timelines.
- Mentor and share know-how around visual design with your other design team peers.
What would set you apart:
- Direct work on health-tech or fitness products.
- Created and maintained a design system on past projects.
- Ability to shoot professional looking photos and videos.
Why join us at January?
- We are a mission-driven company that truly cares about our customers
- Incredibly diverse team from all walks of life and previous experiences (including top-science and business advisors)
- Our market size is large and has a key need that our product addresses
- Great opportunity for impact and direct ownership
- Competitive compensation package
Please apply with a Cover Letter with links to sample work that showcases relevant talent and abilities from previous projects. Feel free to get creative in how you package and present the work – treat it as if you had the role already and were creating content for January :) Share with us how you might approach the role and why you are excited to join us.
This position can begin as contract and then contract-to-full-time hire
Remote is OK, with a strong preference for West Coast or adjacent time zone to collaborate with the rest of the team in real-time
We'd love to hear from you!
January is an equal opportunity employer.
We are a diverse team and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
This position is located in Menlo Park, CA. Local or West coast-based candidates preferred.
We do not accept third-party solicitation for employment.