Sr. Machine Learning Engineer/NLP
Menlo Park /
Who We Are:
January AI is a precision health company based in Menlo Park, CA. Founded in 2017 by veteran Silicon Valley business executive, Noosheen Hashemi, and renowned genomicist Mike Snyder, a pioneer in bringing Big Data into personalized medicine, January AI takes a multi-omic approach to (i) understanding the physiology and psychology of the 120 million people on the diabetes spectrum and (ii) developing smart products to help them optimize their blood sugar. By harnessing science, medicine, and machine learning, our technology discovers how diabetes affects people differently and provides specific recommendations to move them to a healthier state.
While multiple technology solutions have appeared in the last decade to address diabetes, innovation has been marginal, making the sector ripe for disruption. We’re leveraging dense data from wearables, smartphones, and digital health; and developed an ontology of 16M food items alongside algorithms like anti-cheat food detection, food recommendations for glycemic load, and 33-hour glucose curve predictions. We also employ social and gamification strategies to keep users engaged with their health and motivated to level up. Together, these tools power our lifestyle intervention programs for improved glucose regulation and metabolic health.
At January AI, we believe that every day is January 1st, that every day is a fresh start. We believe that health isn’t a place you reach, but the simple process of doing just a little better than yesterday. We believe that self-improvement is a team sport. That’s why January AI is creating a community of everyday people building their healthy habits, together. January AI is backed, among others, by Marc Benioff, Jerry Yang and Steve Chen, founders of Salesforce, Yahoo! and YouTube. If you’re ready to join our team and help grow this community, please submit your application following the link provided.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop novel algorithms and functional prototypes using NLP and machine learning techniques
- Create product-informed solutions related to information extraction, word association, and topic modeling using structured and unstructured clinical and user generated data
- Provide NLP guidance for the company, including defining best practices and product roadmap and strategy
- Deliver end-to-end, scalable, performant, and reliable NLP/machine learning features in production
- Advanced degree (MS, PhD) in a technical field (computer science, machine learning)
- 4+ years of industry experience or equivalent research experience
- Prolific experience writing machine learning and NLP algorithms and workflows in python
- Deep theoretical and practical experience with a number of ML techniques and frameworks such as data discretization, decision trees, SVMs, recommender systems, deep neural networks, RNN, CNN, AE, GAN, Transformers, etc
- Demonstrated experience with the development and implementation of novel methods for data extraction from free text data, including named entity recognition, relation extraction, part of speech tagging, etc
- Development and implementation of methods for unsupervised identification of keywords and for detection of word similarity: latent semantic indexing, brown clustering, word2vec, BERT, etc
- Proficiency at coding and debugging workflows written using Gensim, Spacy, and Deep Learning frameworks such as PyTorch, Keras and/or TensorFlow
- Experience as a technical lead in designing and developing NLP and conversational AI software
- Practical experience with software engineering practices (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation)
- Be driven to deliver impactful consumer-focused solutions
Nice to have
- Prior working experience with healthcare, wearable device, and/or human subject data
- Exposure to or practical experience with machine vision technologies
- Previous work implementing recommender systems in a product
- Demonstrated experience leading a technical team
We'd love to hear from you!
January is an equal opportunity employer.
We are a diverse team and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
This position is located in Menlo Park, CA. Local or West coast-based candidates preferred.
We do not accept third-party solicitation for employment.