Menlo Park /
Who We Are:
January AI is a precision health company based in Menlo Park, CA. Founded in 2017 by veteran Silicon Valley business executive, Noosheen Hashemi, and renowned genomicist Mike Snyder, a pioneer in bringing Big Data into personalized medicine, January AI takes a multi-omic approach to (i) understanding the physiology and psychology of the 120 million people on the diabetes spectrum and (ii) developing smart products to help them optimize their blood sugar. By harnessing science, medicine, and machine learning, our technology discovers how diabetes affects people differently and provides specific recommendations to move them to a healthier state.
While multiple technology solutions have appeared in the last decade to address diabetes, innovation has been marginal, making the sector ripe for disruption. We’re leveraging dense data from wearables, smartphones, and digital health; and developed an ontology of 16M food items alongside algorithms like anti-cheat food detection, food recommendations for glycemic load, and 33-hour glucose curve predictions. We also employ social and gamification strategies to keep users engaged with their health and motivated to level up. Together, these tools power our lifestyle intervention programs for improved glucose regulation and metabolic health.
At January AI, we believe that every day is January 1st, that every day is a fresh start. We believe that health isn’t a place you reach, but the simple process of doing just a little better than yesterday. We believe that self-improvement is a team sport. That’s why January AI is creating a community of everyday people building their healthy habits, together. January AI is backed, among others, by Marc Benioff, Jerry Yang and Steve Chen, founders of Salesforce, Yahoo! and YouTube. If you’re ready to join our team and help grow this community, please submit your application following the link provided.
We are looking for an experienced data engineer to implement and optimize the raw and processed data and data architecture used at January AI for our machine learning-driven product. The candidate would be responsible for optimizing data flow and representation for machine learning purposes and will work closely with the engineering team to architect solutions that enable robust and reproducible data access and analysis.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Interface with engineers, product managers and machine learning scientists/engineers to understand data needs and implement solutions
- Work directly with ML scientists/engineers to implement robust and reusable data models
- Build out automated solutions for ML feature testing, validation, and release
- Implement and maintain a data version control system
- Enable automated data preparation for model training
- Ensure data quality and accessibility for all types of data used at January AI
- Design, build, enhance, and launch ETL processes for new and existing data sources
- Augment existing data with output from machine learning analysis/algorithms
- Systematically identify and rectify data quality issues (missing data, mislabeled, old, poor schema/model, etc)
- Produce basic statistical analyses and visualizations to help guide product and business decisions
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field (computer science, engineering, mathematics, informatics); advanced degree preferred
- 4+ years of industry data engineering experience
- 2+ years experience in ETL design, implementation and maintenance
- 2+ years experience in the data warehouse space
- 2+ years experience with schema design and dimensional data modeling
- Expert usage of SQL and python
- Practical application of basic statistical methods
- Basic experience working on machine learning projects
Nice to have
- Prior working experience with healthcare, wearable device, and/or human subject data
- Data visualization skills (R, python, Tableau)
- Familiarity with tools for analysis of large datasets
We'd love to hear from you!
January is an equal opportunity employer.
We are a diverse team and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
This position is located in Menlo Park, CA. Local or West coast-based candidates preferred.
We do not accept third-party solicitation for employment.