Product Designer/Lead Product Designer
Menlo Park /
Who We Are:
January AI is a precision health company based in Menlo Park, CA. Founded in 2017 by veteran Silicon Valley business executive, Noosheen Hashemi, and renowned genomicist Mike Snyder, a pioneer in bringing Big Data into personalized medicine, January AI takes a multi-omic approach to (i) understanding the physiology and psychology of the 120 million people on the diabetes spectrum and (ii) developing smart products to help them optimize their blood sugar. By harnessing science, medicine, and machine learning, our technology discovers how diabetes affects people differently and provides specific recommendations to move them to a healthier state.
While multiple technology solutions have appeared in the last decade to address diabetes, innovation has been marginal, making the sector ripe for disruption. We’re leveraging dense data from wearables, smartphones, and digital health; and developed an ontology of 16M food items alongside algorithms like anti-cheat food detection, food recommendations for glycemic load, and 33-hour glucose curve predictions. We also employ social and gamification strategies to keep users engaged with their health and motivated to level up. Together, these tools power our lifestyle intervention programs for improved glucose regulation and metabolic health.
At January AI, we believe that every day is January 1st, that every day is a fresh start. We believe that health isn’t a place you reach, but the simple process of doing just a little better than yesterday. We believe that self-improvement is a team sport. That’s why January AI is creating a community of everyday people building their healthy habits, together. January AI is backed, among others, by Marc Benioff, Jerry Yang and Steve Chen, founders of Salesforce, Yahoo! and YouTube. If you’re ready to join our team and help grow this community, please submit your application following the link provided.
As Lead Product Designer, you will be responsible for supporting our efforts to create an engaging, playful, and elegant product rooted in consumer needs. You have a deep passion for creating health products that people not only need, but love to use. You want to build a product that partners with its users to improve their lives and engages them each step of the way.
You will be expected to utilize your full range of product design, interaction design, and visual design skills as we create January AI's products and bring them to market quickly over these next few months. The role will involve visual design, as well as supporting our product team in thinking through development, iteration, and improvement of our product.
- BA/BS degree in Design (e.g. interaction, graphic, visual communications, product, industrial, etc), Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Computer Science (CS) or a related field, or equivalent practical experience
- 2-5 years of experience in UX or interaction design, preferably for mobile products in a fast-paced creative environment
- Design leadership experience, preferably in high-engagement consumer products
- Excellent portfolio that demonstrates systematic and creative design thinking as well as a strong understanding of UI/UX best practices
- Skilled storyteller that finds creative solutions in unique and innovative ways
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional teams
- Deep knowledge of design principles and methods
- Ability to develop ideas and concepts rapidly through storyboarding, wireframing, and prototyping
- Mastery of design tools such as Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, and Figma
- Desire to join an early-stage mission-driven startup where you will be instrumental in setting a team culture, creative process, and product approach
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Design user-centric experiences that are incredibly simple, intuitive, and elegant
- Create design patterns, style guides, mockups, wireframes, and prototypes for mobile products
- Perform user testing to inform and validate design decisions
- Collaborate effectively with other designers, product managers, and engineers to build and ship delightful products Lead a small but mighty design team, collaborating effectively with product managers and engineers to build and ship delightful products
- Lead research to identify and translate user needs into mobile product solutions
We'd love to hear from you!
January is an equal opportunity employer.
We are a diverse team and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
This position is located in Menlo Park, CA. Local or West coast-based candidates preferred.
We do not accept third-party solicitation for employment.