Head of Design
Menlo Park /
Who We Are:
January AI is a precision health company based in Menlo Park, CA. Founded in 2017 by veteran Silicon Valley business executive, Noosheen Hashemi, and renowned genomicist Mike Snyder, a pioneer in bringing Big Data into personalized medicine, January AI takes a multi-omic approach to (i) understanding the physiology and psychology of the 120 million people on the diabetes spectrum and (ii) developing smart products to help them optimize their blood sugar. By harnessing science, medicine, and machine learning, our technology discovers how diabetes affects people differently and provides specific recommendations to move them to a healthier state.
While multiple technology solutions have appeared in the last decade to address diabetes, innovation has been marginal, making the sector ripe for disruption. We’re leveraging dense data from wearables, smartphones, and digital health; and developed an ontology of 16M food items alongside algorithms like anti-cheat food detection, food recommendations for glycemic load, and 33-hour glucose curve predictions. We also employ social and gamification strategies to keep users engaged with their health and motivated to level up. Together, these tools power our lifestyle intervention programs for improved glucose regulation and metabolic health.
At January AI, we believe that every day is January 1st, that every day is a fresh start. We believe that health isn’t a place you reach, but the simple process of doing just a little better than yesterday. We believe that self-improvement is a team sport. That’s why January AI is creating a community of everyday people building their healthy habits, together. January AI is backed, among others, by Marc Benioff, Jerry Yang and Steve Chen, founders of Salesforce, Yahoo! and YouTube. If you’re ready to join our team and help grow this community, please submit your application following the link provided.
January is looking for an energetic, self-motivated and detailed oriented Head of Design. Part strategist, part hands-on designer, this leader will have a key role in envisioning the user experience as well as leading and growing a design team. You will own the end-to-end design process across all of January’s product surfaces which include web, iOS and Android, as well as physical products. As this role stretches across multiple product ecosystems, you’ll collaborate cross functionally within and beyond the design team.
In this role, you’ll be leading projects and designing features, creating experiences for our customers to improve their health outcomes. Using your leadership and management experience, you’ll guide the team to ideate, create, and refine workflows and patterns in the core product experience to make our products easy and delightful to use. As a manager, you’ll eagerly seek and provide feedback. Transparency and flexibility are among your core values.
This position can begin as contract and then contract-to-full-time hire Remote is OK, with strong preference for West Coast or adjacent time zone to collaborate with the rest of the team in real-time.
What would set you apart:
Previous work on health-tech or fitness products
Why Join us at January?
We are a mission-driven company that truly cares about our customers
Incredibly diverse team from all walks of life and previous experiences (including top-science and business advisors)Our market size is large and has a key need that our product addresses
Great opportunity for impact and direct ownership
Competitive compensation package
Please apply with a Cover Letter with links to sample work that showcases relevant talent and abilities from previous projects. Feel free to get creative in how you package and present the work – treat it as if you had the role already and were creating content for January :)
Examples of work that could be relevant:
Prior design work Prototypes
Storytelling around how you have lead and built teams in the past
Share with us how you might approach the role and why you are excited to join us.
- Shipped Product and have experience owning core app product development from inception to post-launch; you have a track record of shipping beautiful visual designs and intuitive experiences on both mobile and web.
- A Manager who will grow a team of designers by setting crisp goals, evolving our design practice, building team culture, and a leader who guides the team to the best possible solution
- A Cross-Functional Expert who will use leadership methodologies and design skills to bring a user-centered point of view to growth and consumer-focused initiatives.
- A Leader who thrives on cross-functional collaboration and actively works to improve the people, product, and process on the design team and beyond.
- Excellent Communicator of design work and your rationale behind proposals. You can communicate complex ideas to the team and stakeholders.
- Collaborative and excited about building relationships with other teams in the company, including Engineering, Marketing, and Product Management
- Self-Organized with your time and work, and seek out resources to accomplish projects.
- Investigative and inquisitive about product goals from both a company’s and user’s perspective, fostering a learning culture both with in the design team and the larger eng organization
- Innovative and able to contribute new design patterns to our existing system, and pair with other designers to mentor them on how to use and improve these patterns.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Understand, leverage and extend our design system to deliver a consistent and rich app experience.
- Collaborate deeply with the development side and craft technically mindful experiences.
- Apply existing experience and interaction patterns, also developing new ones based on user needs.
- Collaborate closely with Engineering and Product leadership to define features and contribute to the overall direction of the entire product.
- Lead the team in ideating, creating, and documenting user flows and patterns across all product surfaces to make our products delightful to our users and clear to our development team.
- Work extremely closely with Engineering to ensure a smooth hand-offs and accurate, high-quality translation of designs into releases.
We'd love to hear from you!
January is an equal opportunity employer.
We are a diverse team and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
This position is located in Menlo Park, CA. Local or West coast-based candidates preferred.
We do not accept third-party solicitation for employment.