BE Tech Lead
Menlo Park CA
Founded by veteran business executive, Noosheen Hashemi, and Director of Genomics and Personalized Medicine at Stanford University, Dr. Michael Snyder, January AI is the first “precision health” company that combines continuous glucose monitoring along with heart rate, sleep, activity and food tracking, to enable you to see the impact of your diet and exercise on your body in real-time.
We help you understand your personal metabolic health, i.e. how your body metabolizes food, and make simple changes to avoid serious health issues down the road. The need for this has never been greater: 1 in 3 adults in the US are now pre-diabetic, and 80% are not even aware of it. January’s app and continuous glucose monitor gives you immediate insights on your diet and blood sugar levels, and provides personalized recommendations on how to adjust your diet and activity to improve your overall metabolic wellbeing. We help you build better habits in just 30 days.
At January AI, we believe that every day is January 1st, that every day is a fresh start. We believe that health isn’t a place you reach, but the simple process of understanding your body and doing just a little better than yesterday.
January AI is backed by Marc Benioff (CEO and founder of Salesforce), Jerry Yang (founder of Yahoo), and Steve Chen (founder of YouTube), among others.
Recent coverage: STAT, TechCrunch, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, and VentureBeat.
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Backend Tech Lead with a strong understanding of software and engineering best practices.You will be responsible for leading a small team of backend engineers to drive the design, development, implementation & monitoring of our backend systems. You will be working closely with other engineers, and product managers to deliver high-quality technical solutions for our business needs.
- Lead and mentor a team of backend engineers to develop high-quality software solutions.
- Design and implement scalable, robust, and efficient backend systems using Node.js and TypeScript and REST API best practices.
- Implement processes to monitor and ensure the stability of backend services, proactively addressing identifying issues and minimizing user impact.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features.
- Ensure the performance, quality, and responsiveness of applications.
- Identify and correct bottlenecks and fix bugs.
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automatization.
- Work closely with the DevOps to manage and optimize applications in the AWS environment.
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives to improve developer productivity and software quality.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in backend software development.
- Proven experience as a tech lead or similar leadership role in a software development team.
- React or Next.js knowledge is not required, but a bonus if you have experience.
- Very Strong knowledge of TypeScript, Node.js, Express or similar web framework.
- Experience with AWS services and cloud architecture.
- Solid understanding of software design principles and architectural patterns.
- Experience with microservices architecture and distributed systems.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to think algorithmically.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to articulate technical decisions and trade-offs to non-technical stakeholders.
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject.
$170,000 - $230,000 a year
We'd love to hear from you!
January is an equal-opportunity employer.
We are a diverse team committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Our HQ office is in sunny and beautiful downtown Menlo Park, CA, within walking distance to Caltrain and local cafes and restaurants.
Our team collaborates in real-time during standard working hours Pacific Time.
Local or West Coast-based candidates are preferred.
Benefits and Perks of working Full-time at January include: Competitive salary and equity packages; 401k with corporate matching; Health, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance; Commuter benefits.
Base salary will depend on skills, qualifications, experience, and location.
We do not accept third-party solicitation for employment.