Chief Technology Officer
Menlo Park /
Who We Are:
January AI is a precision health company based in Menlo Park, CA. Founded in 2017 by veteran Silicon Valley business executive, Noosheen Hashemi, and renowned genomicist Mike Snyder, a pioneer in bringing Big Data into personalized medicine, January AI takes a multi-omic approach to (i) understanding the physiology and psychology of the 120 million people on the diabetes spectrum and (ii) developing smart products to help them optimize their blood sugar. By harnessing science, medicine, and machine learning, our technology discovers how diabetes affects people differently and provides specific recommendations to move them to a healthier state.
While multiple technology solutions have appeared in the last decade to address diabetes, innovation has been marginal, making the sector ripe for disruption. We’re leveraging dense data from wearables, smartphones, and digital health; and developed an ontology of 16M food items alongside algorithms like anti-cheat food detection, food recommendations for glycemic load, and 33-hour glucose curve predictions. We also employ social and gamification strategies to keep users engaged with their health and motivated to level up. Together, these tools power our lifestyle intervention programs for improved glucose regulation and metabolic health.
At January AI, we believe that every day is January 1st, that every day is a fresh start. We believe that health isn’t a place you reach, but the simple process of doing just a little better than yesterday. We believe that self-improvement is a team sport. That’s why January AI is creating a community of everyday people building their healthy habits, together. January AI is backed, among others, by Marc Benioff, Jerry Yang and Steve Chen, founders of Salesforce, Yahoo! and YouTube. If you’re ready to join our team and help grow this community, please submit your application following the link provided.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead and manage a team of ML scientists and ML engineers
- Work closely with Engineering (front and back end) and ensure effective collaboration and material handoff between the ML and Engineering teams
- Help Engineering team in pivotal decision making concerning infrastructure, architecture and scalability
- Work closely with the Product team to understand the product aims and incorporate them in ML strategy and development
- Communicate deep scientific concepts to Commercial and Product teams and to clients and partners
- Be part of the leadership team to decide on strategies for short term and long term needs of the company and product roadmap
- Maintain and scale the existing technologies and build on it
- Keep abreast of latest developments in science, biology, medicine and ML as they relate to metabolic syndrome
- Collaborate on study design in for January and January clients to feed into products
- Strategize and execute on IP development and manage the company’s IP portfolio
- Experience working in early stage startups - from building and scaling to going through fundraising.
- Masters or PhD in CS, EE or related computational fields (i.e. Physics, Computational Biology, Math)
- At least 3 years of experience of working at an intersection of Machine learning, Product development and Software development teams.
- Great communication and leadership skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Practical experience with software architecture and the ability to engage with an Engineering team to help build and scale the existing infrastructure.
- Align the company's technology resources with the organization's short- and long-term goals.
- Serve on the executive committee to align technology goals to other departmental and organizational objectives.
- Experience working directly with front-end and back-end engineers.
- Ability to adapt to new technologies and to learn new scientific and business concepts.
Machine Learning Qualifications
- Extensive experience with the complete cycle of developing AI models and features from conceptualization of an idea, implementation, evaluation, and productization and delivery to the user.
- At least 3 years of managing a team of Senior Machine Learning Scientists and Engineers.
- Solid knowledge of analysis of multi-modal and time-variant signals
- In-depth knowledge of start-of-the-art Machine Learning techniques and theory, particularly Deep Learning.
- Experience building recommender systems and personalized models.
- Good understanding of modern NLP in the wake of self-attentive transformers.
Useful to have
- Experience with healthcare data especially time-series data
- Experience fundraising with VCs, identifying collaborative opportunities with prospects, and defining projects with partners
We'd love to hear from you!
January is an equal opportunity employer.
We are a diverse team and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
This position is located in Menlo Park, CA. Local or West coast-based candidates preferred.
We do not accept third-party solicitation for employment.