RF Design Engineering Technician, Test Lab
Liverpool, NY /
Engineering & Technology – Test Lab - Antenna /
As an entrepreneurial U.S.-based company that’s competing on a global scale, JMA is growing at an incredible pace – and we’re just getting started. We’re a leading global innovator of mobile connectivity solutions. We design and build next-generation in-building and outdoor mobile wireless systems, delivering the industry’s most powerful technologies that enable LTE, 5G and CBRS services on mobile operator networks worldwide. Whether our teammates working on the manufacturing floor creating products or working side by side with our customers at an installation, we are never satisfied with the status quo. We never settle, every person in every position has the power to make an impact.
Tasks and Activities:
- Actively participate in the antenna development and support of defined goals.
- Use software package/development tools to analyze antenna performance and document data to present to design engineers
- Perform state-of-the-art product development activities, including identifying and making recommendations on design trade-offs, and implementation of engineering specifications
- Solder and assemble early engineering prototypes.
- Understand S parameters, Isolation and tune wideband dipoles, patches, PCB filters and feed networks for excellent impedance matches (1.4:1 or better and -25dB or better Isolation) in an array/standalone architecture. Understand and tune for multiband resonances to validate designs without radiation pattern distortion.
- Understand key antenna radiation parameters and evaluate contribution of performance to parasitics, tuning tabs, etc.
- Understand and ability to tune/troubleshoot for PIM. Identify key PIM contributors (PCB, sheet metal, process, manufacturing defects) and ability to give feedback to design engineering and manufacturing.
- Test and troubleshoot antenna using network analyzers, spectrum analyzers. Understanding S- parameter tuning using smith charts and mismatch tuning in frequency domain.
- Follow Q&EMS Policies, Procedures and Instructions
- Assist JMA in minimizing its impact on the environment and preventing pollution through recycling efforts defined in the waste management programs and ensuring chemicals are managed in a manner that prevents spills.
Metrics for the Position:
- Being able to accomplish all major responsibilities listed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Minimum of an AS or AAS degree in electrical or electronic engineering technology.
- Have the equivalent of 2+ years of experience in an electronic R&D Laboratory/Test Environment.
- Have working knowledge of Microsoft Office Excel, Word, Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Be willing to go above and beyond to accomplish an assigned task.
- Must be self-motivated to accomplish repetitive tasks.
- Strong problem-solving abilities and decision-making skills.
- Ability to work as part of a cross-functional team.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Electrical – Take VSWR, Return Loss, Insertion Loss, and Passive intermodulation measurements.
- Mechanical – Take tensile and compression measurements.
- Environmental – Monitor and record results of long term testing.
- Use Misc. lab equipment
- Use Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, etc.
o AGILENT 50 OHM PNA-L Network Analyzer
o KAELUS iBA Bench top Intermodulation Distortion Analyzers
o ANECHOIC CHAMBER – Antenna Pattern Testing
o WELDED SCREENING ROOM – VSWR/PIM
o INSTRON 5967 – Tensile Testing System
o CSZ (Cincinnati Sub Zero) – Thermal Chambers
o SINGLETON SCCH 21 – Salt Fog Chamber
o QUALLMARK OVTT 24 – Vibration Table
o Q-SUN XE-3 – Xenon Weathering Chamber
o IPX6 Room – Jet Spray Equipment
o Digital Multi-meters, Thermometers, etc.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
JMA offers a total rewards package designed to support your life, both in and outside of work. When you join our team, you have immediate access to numerous benefits and perks that fit your specific needs. Whether you're looking for employee discounts, financial, legal and/or childcare resources and support, we have you covered! We believe in providing comprehensive health and wellness coverage along with monetary rewards towards health goals, in addition to numerous company-provided personal protection benefits at no additional cost to you. Investing in our employees is our #1 priority. Are you in?
At JMA Wireless, we don’t just accept differences — we celebrate, support, and thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. JMA Wireless is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristic.