Embedded Linux Firmware Developer
Plano, TX /
Engineering & Technology – 5G Hardware Engineering /
Wireless technology now impacts nearly every aspect of daily life around the world. As the fastest-growing global tech company, JMA designs and delivers cutting-edge wireless technology solutions that modernize how people learn, work, live and play, like never imagined. We power today’s leading industries through next generation software-based 5G, private wireless networks, 5G-ready antennas and connectors, and advanced indoor 5G capabilities — all manufactured in the U.S. Our headquarters, along with the first-of-its-kind 5G campus are located in Syracuse, NY, with innovative tech hubs around the world. Join our team to shape the future of wireless technology and elevate how people experience the world!
JMA Wireless is looking for a Mid to Senior Level Firmware Engineer to join our team in Plano, TX.
The engineer will work on embedded software and firmware for 4G and 5G base stations and radios. Working with a dynamic team locally and across different locations, the engineer will define requirements & test plans, create implementation and execute test plans across multiple product features requiring firmware support. Success depends on collaboration in planning, execution and debug with hardware design, RTL design and verification, and system level testing.
- Design, develop, implement, debug and maintain embedded real time applications
- Specify, design, and implement tests for functionality and behaviors of all embedded subsystems
- Configuration management, build, deployment, hardware interfaces, device driver, device trees
- Responsible for design and implementation of new device features on multiple platforms
- Responsible for the maintenance of current software including: feature enhancements, performance increases, troubleshooting, testing, and bug fixing
- Work closely with other software and hardware engineers to solve design issues
- Work with HW engineers for efficient interfaces ensuring system functionality
- Assist in hardware activities; board bring-up and debug, validation
- Participate in HW design reviews ensuring proper connectivity for system level features
- Deliver high-quality tests for the individual modules and the overall system
- Providing technical documentation (test procedures, design specifications, etc.)
- Be involved in the full life-cycle of test development from concept through integration and test deployment
- Interface with mechanical, software and digital design teams
- Special projects as assigned
- 3+ years of firmware development experience
- BS/MS in Electrical Engineering and/or Computer Engineering, Computer Science or similar
- Must have strong coding skills. Experience with C, C++ is required and Python is highly preferred.
- Experience with Linux bring-up on embedded systems preferred.
- Ability to independently read and understand electrical schematics; hardware bring-up
- Experience debugging embedded systems where step debugging may not be available
- Hardware and software abstraction
- Embedded Linux device driver development, optimizations, bug fixing, add new functionality
- Experience with: Linux OS internals, Linux kernel software, Embedded Linux U-Boot/kernel development and customization, Linux Device Tree development, File system operations
- Knowledge of or experience in Agile software development methodologies
- Operating System and device driver knowledge and experience
- Wireless communication base knowledge: Digital Signal Processing, Antennas, RF
- Multi-threaded and multi-process architectures
- Experience with communication networks and protocols (e.g. USB, Ethernet, TCP/IP, etc.)
- TCP/UDP client and server implementations
- Resource constrained processors (e.g. single core ARM)
- Experience with performance optimization
- Experience with Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS)
JMA offers a total rewards package designed to support your life, both in and outside of work. When you join our team, you have immediate access to numerous benefits and perks that fit your specific needs. Whether you're looking for employee discounts, financial, legal and/or childcare resources and support, we have you covered! We believe in providing comprehensive health and wellness coverage along with monetary rewards towards health goals, in addition to numerous company-provided personal protection benefits at no additional cost to you. Investing in our employees is our #1 priority. Are you in?
At JMA Wireless, we don’t just accept differences — we celebrate, support, and thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. JMA Wireless is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristic.