Staff Backend Engineer
Drop is on a mission to inspire individuals to live their optimal lives by empowering them financially. Drop builds a personalized rewards experience for millions of consumers from over 500 partner brands. To date, Drop has rewarded over $20 million to consumers.
Headquartered in Toronto, with an office in New York, Drop is backed by world-class investors including NEA, HOF, Royal Bank of Canada, Sierra Ventures, and White Star Capital.
Visit joindrop.com or follow the company at @joindrop on Twitter and Instagram.
Software Engineering at Drop
Engineering is at the very core of how Drop's business works. We are responsible for continuously processing hundreds of millions of financial transactions while delivering an engaging experience for users. Our product challenges span across both the consumer space (B2C) and the retailer space (B2B).
As an Engineering team, we value code quality, testability, scalable engineering design, and continuous process improvement. We leverage modern technologies, such as Typescript, React Native, Ruby/Rails, Postgres, Redshift, Docker, Kubernetes, Spark, and more. We maintain an efficient development environment to keep productive and rapidly innovate. The Engineering team works hand in hand with product managers, designers, data scientists, and other stakeholders (marketing, business development, customer support) who partner as entrepreneurial peers on a daily basis.
Our approach to development and collaboration welcomes engineers who are full stack and/or specialize in a particular domain (frontend, backend, data, etc). We operate at all levels of the stack: building mobile-first apps with technologies like React Native to deliver an elegant and responsive UX, scaling highly parallelized APIs and banking integrations to get a 360-degree view of user spending habits and share of wallet, developing data infrastructure to deliver insights and enable the business to efficiently drive impact, and more.
You can learn more about our Engineering team's work by visiting Drop’s Engineering Blog.
As the Staff Backend Engineer, you will
- Identify and lead large technical projects that will impact many teams and stakeholders at Drop.
- Advocate for high-quality technical decisions across the company. When necessary, you will arbitrate decisions using a pragmatic approach that takes into account sound software engineering practices, and product and business constraints.
- Advise our leadership team on strategic decisions that impact our technology stack and product roadmap.
- Mentor and coach software engineers.
- Write code, and contribute to software design and architecture.
- Shape our technical roadmap, and help us prioritize improvements to existing backend systems. A few ideas include: scale our Transaction Syncing Service, which ingests hundreds of gigabytes of transaction data streamed from third-party APIs, to efficiently calculate and distribute points; enhance perceived application performance; improve our Kubernetes clusters to enable easy zero downtime deployment; improve CI/CD tooling and development environments; leverage data to detect and prevent instances of fraud.
- Advise and/or collaborate with our Data Science and Data Engineering teams to build out Drop’s Personalization Systems.
What you bring to the table
- You have 8+ years of experience designing and building reliable, scalable and maintainable backend systems at top-tier software companies.
- You have experience identifying and leading large technical projects that require collaboration with multiple functions to drive product and business outcomes.
- You have a strong product mindset. You advocate for users when collaborating with stakeholders from other areas, but can make tradeoffs to account for business priorities.
- You enjoy improving technical tooling and processes that make it easier and more efficient for engineering teams to ship quality software.
- You are resourceful and have a strong sense of ownership over the projects you are involved in.
- You take pride in your ability to help engineers (ICs and managers) grow in their roles.
- You design and write testable and maintainable code to produce quality systems using software engineering best practices.
Bonus points if
- You’ve worked with Ruby/Rails, Postgres, Redis, Docker, or Kubernetes.
- You’ve built financial, loyalty, or rewards systems.
- You’re passionate about building the next generation rewards product.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment; startup experience is not a strict requirement but a bonus. Drop welcomes people from all work backgrounds and recognizes the value of diversity.
- Lifestyle Spending Accounts and Health Spending Accounts + drug, dental, travel, and group insurance coverage
- Flexible vacation + a work-anywhere-in-the-world program
- Parental leave benefits
- Stock options
Don't have Drop yet?
Check us out in the Google Play or App store
Follow the Link below and use Code: "Candidates" to get a 5k welcome bonus on us! Happy saving Friends!
At Drop, we're committed to providing an enjoyable and meaningful environment for every member of our team. We operate under a flat structure with minimal hierarchy where everyone’s opinion is valued equally. We are looking for team members with an entrepreneurial mindset who will thrive in a fast-paced and rewarding environment.
Drop Technologies, Inc. is proud to be a diverse and equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.