Senior Data Scientist, Algorithms
Toronto, Ontario /
Data & Machine Learning /
Drop is a rewards platform on a mission to inspire people to live their optimal lives by empowering them financially. Through our personalized platform, Drop intelligently surfaces the right brands, at the right time, to make members’ everyday better than it was before. Powered by machine learning, Drop matches consumers with over 500+ partner brands to satisfy two main goals: to earn points from their purchases and redeem them for instant rewards.
Headquartered in Toronto, with an office in New York, Drop is backed by world-class investors including NEA, HOF, Royal Bank of Canada, Sierra Ventures, and White Star Capital.
Visit joindrop.com or follow the company at @joindrop on Twitter and Instagram.
Data Scientist at Drop
As a member of the Data Science - Algorithms team, you are primarily responsible for designing and building intelligent systems to extract knowledge and insights from data. Data scientists accomplish this by leveraging tools from statistics, predictive analytics, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and software engineering. The ultimate goal of the systems built by data scientists is to improve the Drop experience for members and partners, and create value for them.
Data scientists work closely with data engineers and infrastructure engineers to develop the infrastructure and tools needed to prototype and productionize data science pipelines. Data scientists also partner with Product, Engineering and Design to develop the product.
As a team, we value code quality, testability, scalable engineering design, and continuous process improvement. We leverage modern technologies, such as Airflow, Spark, SageMaker, Python, Redshift, Snowflake, Terraform, and various AWS services (EMR, Glue, DMS, and more). We maintain an efficient development environment to keep productive and rapidly innovate.
You can learn more about our Data & Engineering team's work by visiting Drop’s Engineering Blog.
As the Data Scientist, you will
- Apply data science and ML techniques against our large, secure store of complex datasets
- Design and build ML pipelines with a product mindset to perform classification and regression tasks related to entities in our platform such as users, brand, offers and rewards.
- You have a hypothesis-driven mindset combined with the drive to ship production-quality solutions.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to identify problems, establish baselines, and design and build solutions that drive key product and business metrics
- Partner with Data and cross-functional teams to build out Drop’s personalization roadmap.
- Manage end-to-end technical projects and collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to ensure the delivery of the project fulfills the product or business goal.
- Evaluate and identify open source technologies to apply ML that integrates seamlessly with Drop’s existing stack.
- Evangelize data science by fostering a culture of utilizing algorithms and educating employees across Drop on its impact.
What you bring to the table
- You have at least 4+ years of industry experience in a software engineering or Data Science role working with Python.
- You’ve built scalable personalization systems and/or recommender engines.
- You have experience building and managing large data pipelines and ETL flows to support Data Science solutions
- You have experience with cloud computing services (AWS, Google Clouds or Azure)
- You are comfortable working in different parts of the data stack and applying architectural patterns.
- You have experience building in a production environment using modern ML frameworks, and scalable data stores.
- You write testable and maintainable code to produce quality systems using engineering best practices.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment; startup experience is not a strict requirement but a bonus. Drop welcomes people from all backgrounds and recognizes the value of diversity.
- You are passionate about building the next generation loyalty ML product to make life more rewarding.
Bonus points if
- You’ve worked with Airflow, Postgres, Redshift, Docker and/or Kubernetes.
- You have experience with big data computing frameworks such as Apache Spark, Apache Hive, Presto.
- You have experience scaling architecture and working on products with millions of users.
- You’ve built financial, loyalty, or reward systems.
- You have a Master or PhD degree in Applied Computing, Computational Linguistics, Machine Learning or a related field.
- Lifestyle Spending Accounts and Health Spending Accounts + drug, dental, travel, and group insurance coverage
- Flexible vacation + a work-anywhere-in-the-world program
- Parental leave benefits
- Stock options
Don't have Drop yet?
Check us out in the Google Play or App store
Follow the Link below and use Code: "Candidates" to get a 5k welcome bonus on us! Happy saving Friends!
At Drop, we're committed to providing an enjoyable and meaningful environment for every member of our team. We operate under a flat structure with minimal hierarchy where everyone’s opinion is valued equally. We are looking for team members with an entrepreneurial mindset who will thrive in a fast-paced and rewarding environment.
Drop Technologies, Inc. is proud to be a diverse and equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.