New York City, New York /
Graphite builds high-quality tools for modern software engineering teams, so they can ship faster and create amazing products.
Graphite is modern code review for fast-moving teams - we help engineers write and review better pull requests, stay unblocked, and ship faster.
We started Graphite because we missed internal code review tools like Phabricator (at Facebook) and Critique (Google) that help engineers create, approve, and ship incremental changes. We want to make well-designed, high-quality developer tooling accessible to everyone.
We’re a small-but-mighty team of 15 based in Manhattan in the heart of Soho, with a passionate and rapidly growing group of users (7x growth in 2022 so far) at top engineering orgs like Datadog, Bolt, Brex, Ramp, and Snowflake.
We just closed our $20m Series A (featured in TechCrunch) led by Peter Levine at Andreessen Horowitz (who led GitHub's Series A), with participation from folks like Tom Preston-Werner (founder of GitHub), Sam Lambert (Planetscale CEO & ex-GitHub CTO), Sebastian Markbåge (creator of React), and many more.
Our culture centers on putting people first, applying science and craft, practicing disciplined ambition, and giving ownership - both literally (with equity) and in the responsibility and scope you’ll have as a part of our early team. Outside of work you’ll find us brewing espresso drinks, producing music, or practicing yoga. We can’t wait to see what you’ll add to the mix!
About the role
Graphite is growing rapidly, we're looking for a digital product designer to help us execute on our user experience vision, bring innovative and impactful features to our users, and evolve our design system.
Rethinking the way fast-moving software engineering teams write and review code every day is no small feat, and we believe that the best solutions are built when most talented, ambitious, and dedicated people with diverse backgrounds come together. We're a fast-paced product and design driven company with an extremely talented and insightful engineering team.
What you’ll do
- Have ongoing conversations with users to identify areas for improvement
- Iterate quickly with product and engineering on designs for new features
- Create pixel-perfect mockups and collaborate with engineers to implement new designs
- Contribute to and evolve our design system components and patterns
What we’re looking for
- 3+ years of experience designing digital products
- Proven product design experience with case studies showing iterative approaches to complex UX and UI challenges
- A strong sense for visual design and creating scalable patterns and components
- Mastery of contemporary design and prototyping tools and best practices
- Excellent written, verbal, and visual communication skills
Nice to haves
- Experience designing for SaaS, enterprise, devtools, or productivity tools
- Self-sufficient & ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment
- Interest in or experience working on developer tools and workflows
- A good understanding of web front-end (i.e. HTML/CSS, React)
- User experience research experience (eg. user interviews, user testing, etc)
- Branding, graphic design, marketing, or motion design experience
Life at Graphite
- Competitive comp: ($140-180k base + substantial equity). We're backed by some of the best investors and excited to offer competitive compensation packages.
- Role trajectory: We're excited to build a team whose roles, responsibilities, and comp grow as we do.
- Health and wellness: Top-tier health, dental, and vision coverage and 16 weeks paid parental leave for new parents.
- Time to decompress: We ask that our team take 4 weeks of vacation a year to unplug and unwind in addition to all federal holidays.
- Relocation expenses: We're an in-person, NYC-based team, and we're happy to help with your relocation expenses!
- The team that eats together: Company-paid lunch, dinner, and coffee during workdays.
- Commuter perks: Ride around NYC with an Unlimited MetroCard, on us.
- 401(k): Helps you save for retirement
$140,000 - $180,000 a year
$140-180k base + substantial equity
We're backed by some of the best investors and excited to offer competitive compensation packages
As a team, we're very aware of the systemic structural issues that have created inequalities for many communities, especially in the tech industry. We recognize that women and underrepresented minorities are statistically less likely to apply for a role that they feel unqualified for. If you are interested in this role but you’re concerned about not meeting all requirements, we encourage you to apply anyway - we'd love to get to know you and see if there's a place for you here at Graphite!