New York City, New York /
Graphite builds consumer-quality tools for modern software engineering teams, so they can ship faster and create amazing products.
Graphite is modern code review for fast-moving teams - we help engineers write and review smaller pull requests, stay unblocked, and ship faster.
Anyone can start using Graphite individually without needing their coworkers to change tools - we seamlessly sync code changes and reviews. We started Graphite because we missed internal code review tools like Phabricator (at Facebook) and Critique (Google) that help engineers create, approve, and ship small, and incremental changes. Long-term, we’re passionate about creating products & workflows that help fast-moving eng teams achieve more.
We’re a small-but-mighty team of 16 based in Manhattan in the heart of Soho, with a passionate and rapidly growing group of users (7x growth in 2022 so far) at top engineering orgs like Datadog, Bolt, Brex, Ramp, Vercel, and Snowflake.
We just closed our $20m Series A (featured in TechCrunch) led by Peter Levine at Andreessen Horowitz (who led GitHub's Series A), with participation from folks like Tom Preston-Werner (founder of GitHub), Sam Lambert (Planetscale CEO & ex-GitHub CTO), Sebastian Markbåge (creator of React), and many more.
Our culture centers on putting people first, applying science and craft, practicing disciplined ambition, and giving ownership - both literally (with equity) and in the responsibility and scope you’ll have as a part of our early team. Outside of work you’ll find us brewing espresso drinks, producing music, or practicing yoga. We can’t wait to see what you’ll add to the mix!
About the role
Graphite’s community has grown rapidly, and we're looking for our first community engineer to help us scale our efforts, resources, and community. Thus far, we’ve grown and managed our 7,000+ person community organically through direct connections to our engineers; as we scale beyond our early adopters, we want someone to be thoughtful and intentional as they define and coordinate our efforts with the community. This person will define process, produce content, engineer new features, influence product direction by integrating and surfacing user feedback, and propose and lead new projects to grow the community.
Rethinking the way fast-moving software engineering teams write and review code every day is no small feat, and we believe that the best solutions are built when most talented, ambitious, and dedicated people with diverse backgrounds come together.
What you’ll do
- Code: Engineer new community-centric features within the product
- Content: Write blog posts, tweets, videos, and anything else you believe might be helpful in fostering and growing our community
- Community: Build meaningful relationships with our users through regular check-ins, organizing community events, and being present on social media
What we’re looking for
- 2+ years of experience in developer relations; community management / advocacy; or as a developer.
- Ability to engineer software features
- Excellent written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- A creative streak and ability to write copy
- Sufficient technical ability to be able to relate and build relationships with developers
- Self-sufficiency & ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment
- Track record of building strong relationships & collaborating cross-functionally without having direct authority
- Demonstrated willingness to go above and beyond to achieve your desired outcomes
Nice to haves
- Interest in or experience working on developer tools
- A background in user research
- Comfort with creative tools (image and video editing)
- Any formal experience in copywriting
Life at Graphite
- Competitive salary ($160-190k base depending on experience) & equity. We're backed by some of the best investors and are excited to offer competitive compensation packages.
- Role trajectory. We're excited to build a team whose responsibilities and comp to grow as we do.
- Benefits. Top-tier health, dental, and vision coverage and 16 weeks paid parental leave.
- Time to decompress. We ask that our team take 4 weeks of vacation a year to unplug and unwind.
- Relocation expenses. We're an in-person, NYC-based team, and we're happy to help with your relocation expenses!
- The team that eats together. Company-paid lunch, dinner, and coffee during workdays.
- Commuter perks. Ride around NYC with an Unlimited Ride MetroCard, on us.
As a team, we're very aware of the systemic structural issues that have created inequalities for many communities, especially in the tech industry. We recognize that women and underrepresented minorities are statistically less likely to apply for a role that they feel unqualified for. If you are interested in this role but you’re concerned about not meeting all requirements, we encourage you to apply anyway - we'd love to get to know you and see if there's a place for you here at Graphite!