Senior Product Design Contractor
Lincoln – Design /
We’re hiring Senior Product Designers as contractors.
tl;dr: We're looking for top product designers to do contracting with us: someone who can interview users, design thoughtful features, and produce beautiful high-fidelity mockups for our engineers to implement. If that's you, we're dying to talk to you.
Who we are
Lincoln Network is a group of unapologetic capitalists who love technology.
We founded Lincoln six years ago because we were concerned. The heart of the technology world, Silicon Valley, has shifted away from the free market values that led to its prosperity and to improved lives for billions of people worldwide.
We’ve grown into an organization with three parts - a think tank, an agency, and a product studio. As a contracting designer, you’ll be helping with all three, but primarily with client-facing agency projects.
Despite our need for top-tier design talent, things have been going really well. We have dramatically grown in size and influence over the past six years and have established ourselves as the preeminent organization in the overlap of the free market policy and tech worlds.
Many companies have separate roles for UR (talk to users and understand their needs), UX (figures out how things should work), and UI (implements the design). We're looking for someone who can do all three. But if we had to pick only two, it would be UX and UI.
As a contracting Senior Product Designer, you'll work with our design, product, and engineering gurus on exciting new and established websites, plus responsive web/mobile apps. You won't be on your own. You'll have input from our resident illustrator/engineer Joey, our Head of Product Ian, the multiple clever Product Managers across the company, and our existing design team. We all want beautifully designed products and we know that takes collaboration and process.
A key part of this role is getting familiar with our customers. You'll be talking to them constantly and using their feedback to guide your decisions. When we know what to build, you'll design UIs for our apps and websites.
This is a critical role, and we're looking for someone with a rare combination of skills. As such, we expect to pay a premium for you.
Things you'll do a lot
• Talk to users. You'll show them early mocks of things we're working on and iterate based on their feedback. After we ship something, you'll follow up and make sure we nailed it.
• Watch people use our products and then fix the parts that were unclear.
• Design the UX/UI for complex interactions across our applications.
• Collaborate with Engineering as your changes are implemented, and on-the-fly decisions are needed.
Things you must do well
• Maintain a crazy-high bar for product polish.
• Take feedback and collaborate like a pro.
• Learn our design languages and create mockups for our devs.
• See projects through.
Ideally, but not a deal-breaker:
• Write HTML/CSS/JS
• Open PRs on our web apps with design improvements.
• Know how to design a good looking logo
• Create beautiful motion designs
Projects you’re likely to work on
• Being deployed on consulting projects for our client partners in the liberty movement
Things you WON’T have to do
• Work with no feedback and input from others.
• Ask permission to try interesting new approaches.
• Work nine to five.
Why you might want to work with us
• We're small, so there is little to no bureaucracy. You can have a huge impact here.
• We keep meetings rare, short, and productive.
• You can work remotely, though you'll need to have a reasonable overlap with US time zones.
• You'll have a front-row seat at an early-stage, fast-growing company with many people that have done this before. If you hope to start your own thing someday, this could be great preparation.
• You'll report to our Head of Product, Ian.
• This role is part-time and all-remote.
• We’re growing fast and this could eventually turn into a full-time opportunity.
Why you might NOT want to work with us
• You are not bullish on the potential of technology.
• You don’t ❤️ capitalism.
• You'll report to our Head of Product, Ian.
Boring but necessary requirements
• A sizable portfolio you’re proud of. Applications without a portfolio won’t be considered.
• 3+ years of experience. This is a senior role, so we need someone with proven skills across a range of projects.
• Must have some consistent working hours that overlap with US time zones
$50 - $120 / hr depending on portfolio, skills, and availability