Senior Manager, Backend Software Engineering
United States /
Technology – Back End Development /
Permanent full time
Papa and our Papa Pals represent a new category of care, to quite literally meet our members where they are. Social determinants of health, including the public health crisis that is loneliness, have huge impacts on people’s health, and on their lives. The Papa team and our tens of thousands of Papa Pals are here to provide companionship, support, and care to millions of families.
Backed by amazing partners, Papa has raised $240M in funding. Our investors include SoftBank Vision Fund 2, TCG, Tiger Global Management, Canaan, Comcast Ventures, Pivotal Ventures (Melinda Gates’ fund), Initialized Capital, Sound Ventures (Ashton Kutcher’s fund), YCombinator, Operator Partners, and Magnify Ventures.
Papa, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We proudly support the ParityPledge® for gender and/or racial parity at the highest levels of business.
About the Role:
You will be responsible for leading a team of engineers in the design, development, test, and deployment of Papa’s GraphQL API’s. A successful candidate will have an established background of building scalable backend services. You are a leader with progressive technical experience, a demonstrated progression of management scope, and a passion for managing engineering talent in a fast-paced environment. You stay current with your technical skills, and possess exceptional project management and communication skills. Papa's mission is to support families through the aging journey. Belief in this ties our teams together.
Essential Job Functions:
- Be both highly technical and an effective people manager
- Be a subject matter expert in a product domain
- Lead a team that delivers on multiple projects of increasing dependencies in an ambiguous or high-impact area
- Work with your team and cross functional partners to define and influence strategy
- Motivate and support software engineers; help them grow by providing meaningful feedback, opportunities and challenges
- Drive roadmap creation and execution
- Collaborate with various functions, drive engineering initiatives and have an impact at an organizational level
- Participate in technical design
- Measure the impact of your team and set clear expectations
- Work effectively with cross functional partners and stakeholders to set and achieve optimal outcomes
- Partner with leadership to influence and drive org design, contribution and prioritization
- Bachelors in Computer Science (In lieu of degree, 4+ years work experience)
- 5+ years of software engineering work experience
- Experience in partnering with product and testing teams
- 2+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 2+ years of experience designing and developing complex, interactive consumer applications
- 2+ years of exposure or experience writing Elixir code or other functional programming languages.
- Exposure or experience writing code in any other modern web development languages
- Exposure or experience writing and scaling web service APIs
- At least 2 years managing software development teams including hands-on architectural or distributed systems experience
- Experience with delivering software projects using Agile methodologies
Papa’s culture is People-first. While we have an incredible team of hard working Papa people, at the end of the day, our company is really about family and community – and we celebrate that among our employees. We encourage everyone to truly bring their whole authentic selves to work. To be transparent. To be non-hierarchical. And, above all, to be a really good person.
We see ourselves as a place where every Papa employee feels they belong, a place where careers flourish, a place that brings back purpose and joy to work, a culture where visionaries/entrepreneurs are developed.
Papa’s mission is at the core of our total rewards philosophy wherein we attract and retain high potential talent aligned with our journey. We offer gender neutral and inclusive parental leave policies that offer up to 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave. We immensely value the benefits of a flexible workplace, while designing remote-first principles we ensured that Papa people feel psychologically safe about their career interests while being remote.
Beyond benefits: We want to take care of the whole employee and their families. To stay true to this commitment, we offer family care leave in addition to a generous paid time off policy, 401(k) match up to 4%; family forming support through access to Carrot; emotional health support tools through our medical plans such as Ginger, Happify ; access to women’s leadership network CHIEF to our senior women leaders and a host of events through a monthly culture calendar that enable emotional connectedness in a remote work environment.