Engineering Manager - Ops Scaling
UK/EU or compatible timezone (Remote) /
Hi, we’re ZOE
We’re a team of scientists, developers, marketers and more, changing the way the world eats. With our personalised nutrition programme, we’re on a mission to improve the health of millions, and with plans as vast as the plants on our plate, we need the best team. Or ZOEntists, as we like to call ourselves.
We’re backed by leading venture capital firm Accomplice (backers of Angellist and Zoopla), world-renowned entrepreneurs, like Steven Bartlett (also a proud brand ambassador), and we’ve raised over £70m in funding as of July 2023.
With Professor Tim Spector and Dr Sarah Berry leading our science, we have over 63,000 global members and, in our 2022 crowdfunding campaign, we welcomed 13,000 ‘Owners’.
Got a good (gut) feeling it could be you? Head to our career page to find out more.
About the team…
The Ops Scaling team is integral to the growth of our product and the success of ZOE. We build software to automate interaction with our partners and maximise the efficiency of our Engineering, Operations and Support functions. We handle the logistics aspects of the physical parts of our products (logistics, shipping, returns, inventory management, exception management) including third party integrations, as well as enabling our Support team to work more effectively with the help of AI and automation. Our unique challenge: build distributed systems that integrate with all our partners into a cohesive ecosystem that scales across countries.
About the role
We are looking for someone to lead our team and encourage sustainable delivery at pace. You will partner with engineers, product managers and product designers to deliver great customer impact and make ZOE a great place to work.
- Leading a team of engineers that focuses on outcomes over output
- Coaching, mentoring and developing high-performing engineers
- Ensuring high psychological safety
- Partnering with product to establish the teams roadmap and achieve sustainable throughput
- Releasing small changes regularly to get fast feedback from our users
- Spending a large amount of your time deep in the code, leading by example on code and testing best practices
- Challenging the team on system design, scope and sequencing to deliver faster while decreasing technical debt
- Collaborating daily with other teams
- Thinking longer term and being proactive when solving challenges
- Contributing to the evolution of our architecture, tools and processes
- Partnering with other engineering managers on cross cutting initiatives like hiring and onboarding
We think you'll be a great fit if you
- Have a great reputation of leading a distributed full-stack team, in a fast paced environment.
- Have experience working with Support teams, and understand best practices for handling Support at scale.
- Are someone who takes ownership and is comfortable with ambiguity. You provide clarity and make things happen
- Have experience with paired programming
- Data-driven. You challenge everyone to measure impact and demonstrate added value
- Great communication skills. Both verbal and in writing
We will also appreciate
- An incredible growth mindset. You read books, watch talks, listen to podcasts and are never afraid to try new things
- Experience building mobile apps
- Experience deploying machine learning in production
- Experience with scalability (backend, data pipelines)
The interview process
- Intro to ZOE with a Talent Partner (30 mins).
- Intro with our VP of Engineering or Senior Engineering Manager (30mins).
- Technical Interview & Systems Design (90 mins). As part of this stage, we will ask you to teach us something technical asynchronously (text or video) to assess your ability to go in-depth and communicate.
- Behavioural interviews with a Senior Engineering manager (60mins) and VP of Engineering (60 mins).
- Meet a senior stakeholder outside of Technology (30mins) and meet a founder (30mins).
These are the ideal skills, attributes, and experience we’re looking for in this role. Don’t worry if you don’t tick all the boxes, especially on the skills and experience front, we’re happy to upskill for the right candidate.
Life as a ZOEntist – what you can expect from us:
As well as industry-benchmarked compensation and all the hardware and software you need, we offer a thoughtfully-curated list of benefits. We expect this list to evolve as we continue supporting our team members’ long-term personal and professional growth, and their wellbeing.
Remote-first: Work flexibly – from home, our London office, or anywhere within the EU
Stock options: So you can share in our growth
Paid time off: 28 days paid leave (25 holiday days, plus 2 company-wide reset days, and 1 “life event” day)
Enhanced Parental Leave: On top of the statutory offering
Flexible private healthcare and life assurance options
Pension contribution: Pay monthly or top up – your choice.
Health and wellbeing: Like our Employee Assistance Program and Cycle to Work Scheme
Social, WFH, and Growth (L&D) budgets. Plus, multiple opportunities to connect, grow, and socialise
We’re all about equal opportunities
We know that a successful team is made up of diverse people, able to be their authentic selves. To continue growing our team in the best way, we believe that equal opportunities matter, so we encourage candidates from any underrepresented backgrounds to apply for this role. You can view our Equal Opportunities statement in full here.
A closer look at ZOE
Think you’ve heard our name somewhere before? We were the team behind the COVID Symptom Study, which has since become the ZOE Health Study (ZHS). We use the power of community science to conduct large-scale research from the comfort of contributors’ own homes. Our collective work and expertise in biology, engineering, and data/nutrition science have led to multiple breakthrough papers in leading scientific journals such as Nature Medicine, Science, The Lancet, and more.
Seen ZOE in the media recently? Catch our co-founder Professor Tim Spector (one of the world’s most cited scientists) and our Chief Scientist Dr Sarah Berry on this BBC Panorama, and listen to CEO Jonathan Wolf unpack the latest in science and nutrition on our ZOE podcast.
Oh, and if you’re wondering why ZOE? It translates to “Life” in Greek, which we’re helping ZOE members enjoy to the fullest.