Software Engineering /
We are combining science, large scale data and machine learning to tell you what to eat based on your unique metabolism. We’re leading the world’s largest ongoing nutritional research project in collaboration with scientists from leading universities including Harvard, King's College London, Massachusetts General Hospital, Oxford and Stanford.
We are a well-funded start-up based in London and Boston, and are backed by founders, investors and entrepreneurs who have built multi-billion dollar technology companies. Join us in tackling wide-ranging technical challenges from DNA analysis, to machine learning, to building apps and products for millions of users.
We're also the Engineering team behind the popular COVID Symptom Tracker - designed by doctors and scientists at Kings College London, Guys and St Thomas' Hospital and our talented development team. This app is contributing to advance vital research on COVID-19 and helping our nation track it's spread.
- Develop reliable and flexible data processing pipelines that can rapidly evolve to handle new technologies and modelling techniques
- Work alongside our Data Scientists to improve their research workflow and access to automation.
- Be an active contributor to the evolution of our architecture, tools and processes.
- Build tools to assess models’ quality and automate their rollout
- Experience writing clean code and doing TDD with languages like Python, Go, Java, Typescript, C#, or similar
- Experience building complex APIs with microservices oriented architecture, ideally running on Kubernetes
- An understanding of Distributed Computing and the trade-offs between various software architectures as they relate to performance, resiliency/fault tolerance, data consistency and more.
- Working experience of SQL
- As a Series A Start-up, we frequently deal with high levels of ambiguity. It’s imperative that you can perform under these conditions. We work in an incredibly supportive environment with cross-functional teams that aim to help each other grow.
- We believe in outcome over output. As such, we prefer a “technology agnostic” mindset that’s aimed to get the job done - whatever tool is required.
Nice to Have
- Bridge Data Science and Engineering by building a shared understanding and reconciling approaches.
- Experience working closely with data scientists as end-users.
- Experience with Python machine learning libraries.
- Understanding of best practices around CI/CD and release process
- BSc or MSc in Computer Science or an equivalently rigorous discipline
- Past experience with data processing frameworks, like Spark or similar
- We appreciate those who dedicate themselves to lifelong learning.
- Possessing a self-improvement mindset, reading software engineering books, attending meet-ups, speaking at events or generally contributing to the world of OSS is a huge plus!
What we can offer
- Competitive Salary & Share Options
- The opportunity to make the world healthier, and have fun learning about cutting-edge science across biology and genomics
- Active contribution against the fight with COVID19 and the opportunity to save lives
- An exciting early-stage start-up environment, without the funding worries, and with a commercial team that has built billion-dollar revenue businesses
- A crucial role as one of the first colleagues in a truly world-class multidisciplinary and diverse team