Software Engineering /
We are combining science, large scale data and machine learning to tell you what to eat based on your unique metabolism. We’re leading the world’s largest ongoing nutritional research project in collaboration with scientists from leading universities including Harvard, King's College London, Massachusetts General Hospital, Oxford and Stanford.
We are a well-funded start-up based in London and Boston, and are backed by founders, investors and entrepreneurs who have built multi-billion dollar technology companies. Join us in tackling wide-ranging technical challenges from DNA analysis, to machine learning, to building apps and products for millions of users.
We're also the Engineering team behind the popular COVID Symptom Study app - designed by doctors and scientists at King's College London, Guys and St Thomas' Hospital and our talented development team. This app, used by ~4M people, is contributing to advance vital research on COVID-19 and helping our nation track it's spread. It was developed in a less than 5 days and achieved 1M users 36h after launch.
We are looking for engineering managers to join us and help us grow into a world-class engineering organisation both technically and interpersonally.
- Driving delivery of complex projects and dealing with multiple stakeholders across the business.
- You'll be instrumental in coaching, mentoring, and developing high performing engineers. This includes responsibility for managing performance and providing useful, timely feedback in 1:1 setting.
- Play an active role interviewing and supporting hiring new engineers.
- Be an active contributor to the evolution of our architecture, tools and processes.
- Build and maintain systems supporting our Mobile Apps, Internal Services and upcoming product releases.
- You must be comfortable being hands-on and inspiring by example. We expect you to be 60% hands-on and 40% management until we scale the team more.
- A good track record of delivering complex projects in high pace, start-up environments.
- Experience writing clean code and doing TDD with languages like Python, Go, Java, Typescript, C#, or similar.
- An understanding of Distributed Computing and the trade-offs between various software architectures as they relate to performance, resiliency/fault tolerance, data consistency and more.
- As a Series A Start-up, we frequently deal with high levels of ambiguity. It’s imperative that you can perform under these conditions. We work in an incredibly supportive environment with cross-functional teams that aim to help each other grow.
- We believe in outcome over output. As such, we prefer a “technology agnostic” mindset that’s aimed to get the job done - whatever tool is required.
Nice to Have
- Previous track record of managing small engineering teams (3-5 people).
- BSc or MSc in Computer Science or an equivalently rigorous discipline.
- We appreciate those who dedicate themselves to lifelong learning.
- Possessing a self-improvement mindset, reading software engineering books, attending meet-ups, speaking at events or generally contributing to the world of OSS is a huge plus!
What we can offer
- Competitive Salary & Share Options.
- The opportunity to make the world healthier, and have fun learning about cutting-edge science across biology and genomics.
- Active contribution against the fight with COVID19 and the opportunity to save lives.
- An exciting early-stage start-up environment, without the funding worries, and with a commercial team that has built billion-dollar revenue businesses.
- A crucial role as one of the first colleagues in a truly world-class multidisciplinary and diverse team.