Lead Data Engineer - Stream Processing (f/m/d) - London
Tech – Data
Do you love stories? If so, please keep reading, because we certainly do. We believe the ability to tell stories is what makes us human. Joyn is your streaming app with over 50 live TV channels, exclusive previews, originals and collections. We understand Joyn as a partnership – an invitation to content-providers and users alike to make entertainment more meaningful and fun. Our app aggregates global and especially local content in a relevant way for Germany, both live TV and on-demand content. All kinds of stories and more to come, everyday.
We hire the best, because we need people that are as customer-focused as we are. We are looking for champions to help us further connect with our audience. It’s not a small or easy task, but it’s a fun and rewarding one. Do you think you’re up for it? Great. Then send us your application!
To extend our reach to the best talent we are starting a London based Tech Hub and are looking for talent to improve our next generation video streaming platform across Europe from our London base in the St Katharine Docks WeWork.
About the Job
At Joyn you will work with the sizeable data of our video streaming platform as well as data from external sources. Together you will work with our team of talented and passionate data engineers to build a data platform in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment. We are an Agile organisation and believe in autonomous teams that are given a challenge and work towards a shared mission. Therefore we need technical leaders with an agile mindset, who lead by example, enjoy working in a very dynamic environment, and are able to guide, mentor and grow high performing Data Engineers.
What you can expect
- Assume the technical leadership role for the team building our new stream processing data platform, based on Kafka and Snowflake
- You will develop and optimize strategies for our stream processing pipeline using
- KStreams and Java
- Drive a culture of good engineering practises and implement processes, systems and tools to aid and empower the team in their day to day work.
- Facilitate technical design and architectural discussions in your team and align with other engineering teams
- Together with our teams you will work on business requirements and translate them into technical specifications
- You will develop our systems and processes hands-on
- Advocate the use of stream processing through-out the engineering organisation and help teams in other domains to implement efficient stream processing architectures
- Drive the future road map of our data platform by researching new tools and technologies.
How you do it
- You have a deep passion for working on a mission-driven tech product that is designed to solve a complex user problem
- For your team of talented engineers you provide technical leadership and guide the team in technical and product decisions and help us meet the product and business requirements with your technical solution.
- You believe in a servant leadership style that creates a healthy culture of collaboration and inclusion in line with the engineering and company values where people can fulfil their potential.
- You believe sharing your knowledge benefits everybody on the team and you mentor and develop the skills of the developers in your team.
- We like to get any potential elephants out of the room and resolve possible conflicts so we can focus on the product. You help us build an open, collaborative and candid culture that is built on trust.
- You are the technical wingman of the Director of Data Engineering and work closely with them to solve difficult product and business problems.
- You lead by example and instil the values that ensure your team maintains a high level of competence and operational excellence
- You have fun at work!
- You have a degree in computer science or a very high level of practical experience in the field
- You have been working in data engineering or business intelligence for several years, ideally in media or ecommerce
- Professional working experience in KStreams and Java, additional programming languages are a plus
- You have architected several stream processing solutions
- Experience with Spark and Scala are a benefit
- You have a good overview of the various data processing frameworks and tools in the market
- Experience with AWS services, especially auto-scaling and serverless
- Working experience with CI/CD, test- and deployment automation, and containers
- English is our team language
Why you´ll love it here
• Well-funded, stable and innovative company backed by ProSiebenSat1 and Discovery
• Open, transparent, and bureaucracy-free company culture
• Competitive compensation package with individual performance bonus
• Flexible working times and home office when you need it
• Highly international working environment
• One day work from home
Are you ready? We're fast, we’re well-funded and growing quickly. Joyn has just started, it's the best time to
join us and shape our vision.