Senior Big Data Engineer (m/f/d) - London
Tech – Data
Do you love stories? If so, please keep reading, because we certainly do. We believe the ability to tell stories is what makes us human. Joyn is your streaming app with over 50 live TV channels, exclusive previews, originals and collections. We understand Joyn as a partnership – an invitation to content-providers and users alike to make entertainment more meaningful and fun. Our app aggregates global and especially local content in a relevant way for Germany, both live TV and on-demand content. All kinds of stories and more to come, everyday.
We hire the best, because we need people that are as customer-focused as we are. We are looking for champions to help us further connect with our audience. It’s not a small or easy task, but it’s a fun and rewarding one. Do you think you’re up for it? Great. Then send us your application!
To extend our reach to the best talent we are starting a London based Tech Hub and are looking for talent to improve our next generation video streaming platform across Europe from our London base in the St Katharine Docks WeWork.
About the Job
At Joyn you will work with the sizeable data of our video streaming platform as well as data from external sources. Together with your team of talented and passionate big data engineers you are building a data platform in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment. Both our recommendation engine and our playout monitoring systems are part of this platform. The resilient and highly scalable production systems that you build will delight our customers by making sure they always see the most exciting content up front. Our playout monitoring system will be used by the Media Domain to deliver the best possible video quality to our users.
What you can expect
- Use your strong background in distributed data processing, stream processing, software engineering design, and data modelling concepts to develop reliable and scalable production systems
- Develop components for our stream processing pipeline, which powers our playout monitoring system
- Create our recommendation engine, based on the prototypes of your data science colleagues
- Deploy your code multiple times a day and take care of running your services in production on AWS
- Engineering is craftsmanship and you enjoy applying good engineering practises - implement processes, systems and tools to aid and you and your team team in the day to day work
- Participate in technical design and architectural discussions within your team and with other teams solve some real consumer issues
- Work in a team of passionate and talented engineers and data scientists that self-organise and continuously deliver value by embracing a lean and agile mindset
- You learn and succeed in areas you haven’t touched before and you are open to coach each other in the team.
- You have a degree in computer science or a very high level of practical experience in the field
- You have been working in data engineering or data science for several years, ideally in media or ecommerce
- A fast-paced and ever changing environment is something you feel really comfortable in
- Professional working experience in Python and either Java or Scala, additional languages are a plus
- Professional working experience with at least one big data framework
- Experience with stream processing is a strong plus
- Experience with AWS services, especially in the area of auto-scaling, data processing and machine learning
- Working experience with CI/CD, test- and deployment automation, and containers
Why you´ll love it here
• Well-funded, stable and innovative company backed by ProSiebenSat1 and Discovery
• Open, transparent, and bureaucracy-free company culture
• Competitive compensation package with individual performance bonus
• Flexible working times and home office when you need it
• Highly international working environment
• One day work from home
Are you ready? We're fast, we’re well-funded and growing quickly. Joyn has just started, it's the best time to
join us and shape our vision.