Senior Scala Backend Engineer
Tech in London – Software
Do you love stories? If so, please keep reading, because we certainly do. We believe the ability to tell stories is what makes us human. Joyn is your streaming app with over 50 live TV channels, exclusive previews, originals and collections. We understand Joyn as a partnership – an invitation to content-providers and users alike to make entertainment more meaningful and fun. Our app aggregates global and especially local content in a relevant way for Germany, both live TV and on-demand content. All kinds of stories and more to come, everyday.
We hire the best, because we need people that are as customer-focused as we are. We are looking for champions to help us further connect with our audience. It’s not a small or easy task, but it’s a fun and rewarding one. Do you think you’re up for it? Great. Then send us your application!
To extend our reach to the best talent we are starting a London based Tech Hub and are looking for talent to improve our next generation video streaming platform across Europe from our London base in the St Katharine Docks WeWork.
About the job
We are looking for a Senior Scala Backend Engineer to join our User Platform and Monetization team to build and extend our services which include subscriptions and user management as well as Joyn wide authentication services delighting Joyn customers consuming streaming video friction less and keep our pace of delivery without sacrifice in quality.
We had more than 5m active users in the last month and keep counting and have launched our subscription service (direct integration with five payment providers) in last December and our roadmap is full for this year if you are up for a challenge. If you are interested in services with several millions requests a day and keen on delivery that in a continuous available manner get in touch.
What you do
- Write code in Scala with Play Framework or similar and have excellent coverage with ScalaTest
- Interact with our Cassandra persistence layer, migrate our current DynamoDB solutions over to Cassandra
- Develop performance tests with Gatling/similar frameworks
- Enable seamless integration in further Payment providers (currently we have five direct integrations)
- Analyse data in Real Time with Spark Streaming and feedback results to Cassandra
How you do it
- Apply agile development methodologies, prioritize your work together with product managers and engineers in the cross-functional team
- Create consumer value autonomously as a team, be accountable for your product, find a healthy balance of speed and sustainability
- Learn from both success and failure, actively coach and get coached by the team
What we're asking
- Experience with Scala/Kotlin/Java and functional paradigms
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, test automation, deployment automation (Git, GitLab)
- Experience with automation frameworks like Cypress, ScalaTest, Gatling or similar
- A strong understanding of Behaviour-Driven Development (BDD)
- University degree in computer science, information technology, media engineering, or equivalent
- Good English skills
- Payment Processing or Security/Authentication Framework experience is a plus
Why you´ll love it here
• Well-funded, stable and innovative company backed by ProSiebenSat1 and Discovery
• Open, transparent, and bureaucracy-free company culture
• Competitive compensation package with individual performance bonus
• Flexible working times and home office when you need it
• Highly international working environment
• One day work from home
Are you ready? We're fast, we’re well-funded and growing quickly. Joyn has just started, it's the best time to
join us and shape our vision.