Molecular Biology, Automation Scientist
Boston MA /
Plant Science /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
- Joyn Bio is looking for a Molecular Biology Automation Scientist with expertise in developing and scaling Nucleic Acid detection assays using Laboratory Automation. The successful candidate will contribute to the development of and perform high throughput assays and screens, including extractions, qPCR and next-generation sequencing approaches.
- Improve, execute and automate a pipeline to perform thousands of DNA extractions and qPCR reactions per week from plant and microbial samples using laboratory automation platforms
- Work with scientists to convert bench-scale protocols to automated workflows
- Implement sample management and communication protocols with internal and external stakeholders for sample/data hand-offs
- Work with computational biologists and data scientists to develop and improve data analysis strategies
- Perform data entry and basic data management functions
- Innovate and develop new DNA/RNA plant-microbe interaction assays that are aligned with defined objectives
- Use next generation sequencing technologies (library preparation and data analysis in collaboration with computational biologists) to characterize plant-microbe interactions using DNA and RNA based approaches and sequencing technologies (such as Illumina, PacBio, Nanopore)
- Draft and manage Technical Project Plans in collaboration with research partners and CROs
- Keep up to date with the latest laboratory technology and automation platforms and consult with scientists internally to drive innovative improvements
- Bachelors with 5+ years, masters with 3+ years or PhD with equivalent experience in nucleic acid biology, scaling assays, and laboratory automation in an industry or core facility setting
- Experience with LIMS software and high volume sample management
- Experience with laboratory automation platforms is required (Hamilton, Tecan, Echo, BioMek, etc.)
- Project management experience necessary, including schedule management for a team and reporting key performance indicators in dashboards
- Strong preference towards candidates with experience in customer-facing roles in sequencing core facilities, or analogous platforms
- Strong technical expertise in two or more of the following: molecular microbial ecology, molecular plant-microbe interactions, DNA/RNA based detection techniques, library preparation for next generation sequencing (Illumina, PacBio, Nanopore), qPCR or digital PCR
- Experience performing molecular and in silico work for RNA-seq, metagenomics and 16S rRNA-targeted community profiling is desirable, but not required
- Experience with in vivo plant-microbe interaction assays is desirable
- Must be a detail oriented, highly organized, and collaborative self-starter with excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Will report to PMI Scientist in the Plant Science team.
- This position will be based at our Boston site and will require minimal travel (10%).