Research Associate Contractor
Boston MA /
Bioprocessing & Formulation Development /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Ginkgo Bioworks and Leaps by Bayer, founded to solve the urgent agriculture challenges threatening our global food supply and environmental health using the combination of synthetic biology and beneficial microbes. With our scientifically rigorous approach and microbe engineering platform, we are developing sustainable ag biologicals for crop protection and fertility that meet or exceed the performance of their chemical counterparts. Our first product is an engineered microbe that enables cereal crops like corn, wheat, and rice to convert nitrogen from the air into a form they can use, significantly reducing the environmental impact of agriculture's reliance on chemical fertilizers.
- We are seeking a highly motivated and scientifically thorough individual to join the Bioprocess and Formulation Development group to help develop and operate fermentation experiments and equipment that will support our product pipeline.
- Perform experiments to grow organisms and produce material for downstream processing
- Collaborate with departments inside of the company to clearly understand stake holder needs and to leverage in-house expertise
- Collaborate with CROs to ensure production of materials done by outside companies meets deadlines and quality metrics for internal data processing, greenhouse use, and field trials
- Generate protocols and documentation describing methods of safely operating equipment
- Prepare experiments and data analysis reports and present results within the group and specific program meetings
- B.S./B.A. in Life Science field with 0-2 years working in product/process development for a biotechnology focused company or equivalent experience
- Works collaboratively within group as well as within interdisciplinary teams
- Desire to learn industrial fermentation techniques
- Manages time effectively demonstrating ability to perform multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to occasionally work non-routine hours
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- This position will be reporting to the Fermentation Scientist
- This is a contract position through a partner agency
- This position will be based at our Boston, Massachusetts site.
Joyn Bio is committed to treating all applicants fairly without discrimination. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, physical characteristics, social origin, disability, union membership, religion, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any unlawful criterion under applicable law.