Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo BioWorks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
Develop and lead biological evaluation of new microbial solutions for insect control.
- Responsible for evaluation of new microbial strategies for insect control through development and execution of bioassays from lab to greenhouse to initial outdoor testing. This will include both internal screening and coordination of CRO and external collaborators.
- Provide subject matter expertise on agricultural entomology. This includes ideation and collaboration with other team members for new pest control concepts leveraging Joyn technical platform capabilities in synthetic biology. Act as a resource on agricultural pest management and entomology for other Joyn employees and partners.
- Continue to identify and evaluate new technical approaches including automation, image analysis, or molecular methods to drive pipeline. Work closely with computational biology colleagues to insure effective data capture and analysis as well as experimental design.
- Drive Joyn crop protection pipeline through collaboration with project team members across disciplines and sites. Help to develop and grow Plant Science capabilities for efficient and predictive evaluation of new engineered microbes.
- Ph.D. (or equivalent degree and experience) in entomology or related discipline with minimum 4 years of industry experience
- Hands-on experience in evaluating chemical or biological insecticides in diverse formats (diet to microplot) against multiple species.
- Effective project management and oversight of virtual team- external collaborators for screening and research partnerships
- Demonstrated ability to drive technical projects to completion through scientific rigor and project planning and tracking
- This position reports to the Head of Plant Science and is based at our Woodland CA site.
- This individual will manage one direct report and oversee external collaborations
- This position will require 5-10% travel.