Boston MA /
Microbial Engineering /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology to engineer microbes.
- Joyn Bio is looking for the right individual to manage and be responsible for the strain archiving system that enables the onboarding, documentation, tracking, and storage (both on- and offsite) of microorganisms in the ever-expanding Joyn Bio strain collection.
- Manage Joyn Bio company-wide strain archiving system and oversee adoption and compliance by both Boston- and Woodland-based teams.
- On board Joyn Bio strains by leveraging software within Joyn Bio’s repository system. Confirm both identity and pertinent properties prior to incorporation into strain archive.
- Maintain accurate records and metadata for each strain within Joyn Bio’s Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and strain database.
- Oversee the in vitro characterization, collaborating with the Plant Science team for in planta characterization as well as the Bioprocess Formulation Downstream team for scale-up.
- Work closely with the Digital Sciences and Technologies Department as well as the Regulatory Department and Legal to ensure proper recording of information and compliance with all legal and safety requirements.
- Responsible for providing strains from collection to Joyn Bio researchers and external collaborators. This will include developing, overseeing, and amending SOPs and transfer/shipping logistics.
- Implement and manage off site storage through a third party vendor.
- At least 5 years of experience in microbiology, automation, biobanking, and/or related fields
- MS with 3+ years of experience or BS with 5+ years of experience in microbiology or related field
- Industrial experience is a plus
- Exposure to biochemistry, plant pathology, and/or genomics is a plus
- Proven track record and passion for developing and building automated organizational systems
- Hands-on experience working with a diverse array of non-domesticated, fastidious microorganisms
- Will report into the Chassis Onboarding and Management Program Director
- Will work in close collaboration with Joyn Bio employees, and in concert with strain acquisition and characterization personnel, program directors and digital science team
Location: This position will be based at our Boston, Massachusetts site, and will require minimal travel.