Strain Engineer - Microbial Engineering
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks that applies synthetic biology tools to engineer better microbes for Agriculture.
- The Strain Engineer - Microbial Engineering will leverage microbiology and molecular biology to grow, maintain, and engineer microbes for agricultural applications that provide season-long benefits to crops.
- Drive progress of the project through hands-on lab work leveraging microbiology and molecular biology tools
- Grow and maintain bacterial and fungal cultures
- Design and execute small to medium-scale experiments to improve existing and develop new methods
- Execute experiments to test fungal and bacterial microbes in high throughput
- Critically analyze data and collaborate with data scientists to ensure statistical rigor
- Leverage Ginkgo Bioworks’ high-throughput platform to conduct screenings and test engineered microbes
- Actively participate in the project team to ensure that key stakeholders are aligned across the project
The Strain Engineer - Microbial Engineering is expected to spend 80-85% of their time in the wet lab and 15-20% of their time managing projects and ideating new methods / tools.
- B.S. with 2+ years of industry experience in microbiology, molecular biology, or a related field
- Demonstrated attention to detail and a high degree of diligence; willingness to tackle a steep learning curve and issues as they arise
- Extensive experience handling and maintaining microbial cell cultures in flasks, on plates, and in 96-well format
- Familiarity working with filamentous fungi
- Proficiency in high-throughput lab work
- Ability and willingness to become an expert user of custom software
- Strong communication and collaborative skills
- Familiarity with LIMSs is a plus
- Experience using liquid handling robots, microscopes, or flow cytometers is a plus
- Proficiency in engineering bacteria or filamentous fungi is a plus
- This position will report to the Senior/Project Scientist
- This individual will be part of the Boston-based Microbial Engineering team
- This individual will collaborate with Joyn Bio departments across sites, as well as Ginkgo Bioworks teams
This position will be based at our Boston, MA site and require ~5% travel.