Analytical Team Lead - Microbial Engineering
Boston MA /
Microbial Engineering /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
Joyn Bio is looking for an energetic and talented individual to provide strategic guidance, technical leadership, and build the Analytical functions within Joyn Bio. With inputs from the Microbial Engineering, BioProcessing & Formulation Development, and Digital Science and Technology teams, the successful candidate will play a key role in Assay/Methodology development and will function as an expert to design and execute experiments to develop analytical methods. They will provide scientific expertise to multiple projects, optimize existing assays based on in-depth knowledge of laboratory techniques, and will be responsible for technical transfer, development of SOPs, and assay validation.
- Independently design and develop analytical and biochemical methods to support process and technology development of the Microbial Engineering and Process Development departments as well as other functional groups as needed and interface with the Data Science and Technology team for data capture, analysis and support.
- Validates, critically reviews, analyze and approve of raw data / protocol / method development and qualification reports, and management of external contract organizations.
- Provide analytical expertise to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues to ensure that timeline and deliverables are met.
- Write, review, edit, and approve internal technical reports, quality documents and presentations.
- PhD with >5 years industrial experience in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, synthetic biology, molecular biology, microbiology, or a related field necessary.
- Extensive experience in analytical chemistry principles and hands-on experience with modern analytical instruments commonly used in the analysis and characterization of diverse molecular entities including (but not limited to) proteins, peptides, carbohydrates, microbial metabolites, small molecules, biopolymers and cell biomass.
- Experience with high-throughput analytical methods for microbiology / molecular biology and bioprocess development with proficiency in UPLC-MS, HPLC, MALDITOF, GPC, ICP, Bioanalyzer, Biochemical analyzer (YSI), Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC), TLC, colorimetric/fluorescent assays.
- Extensive technical writing experience in drafting method protocols, SOPs, reports and management of external CRO / testing labs.
- Ability to work in a matrix organization and collaborate to drive technical projects to completion through effective prioritization, project management, delivery on tight timelines, and organizational skills.
- Solid understanding of relevant regulatory guidelines applicable to analytical method development and qualification/validation protocols.
- This position will report to the Head of the Microbial Engineering department.
- This individual will be part of the Boston-based ME team
- This individual will collaborate with Joyn Bio Departments across sites, as well as external partners
This position will be based at our Boston site and will require 5-10% travel.