Field Research Associate
Woodland CA /
Plant Science /
Joyn Bio is an ag-biotech company developing more sustainable ways to feed the world. Started by agriculture and synthetic biology leaders Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks, Joyn Bio is engineering beneficial microbes found in the environment to improve naturally occurring processes like nitrogen fixation. With exclusive access to Ginkgo Bioworks’ automated foundries for biological engineering and Bayer’s crop science expertise, Joyn Bio is delivering the scale and power of synthetic biology to agriculture. Joyn Bio brings together scientists with diverse backgrounds at its two sites in Boston, Massachusetts and Woodland, California to develop new microbial solutions that address growers’ biggest challenges. For more information please visit www.joynbio.com.
- Joyn Bio, Department of Plant Science is seeking a highly motivated and self-driven Field Assistant (FA) to support the in planta testing of engineered microbes designed to enhance the performance of plants in the field and controlled environments.
- The Field Assistant will be involved in all aspects of the field trial execution including seed prep, data collection, plant tissue and soil sampling, harvesting, and phenotypic data collection important to our program.
- A key component of the position will be the collection of high-quality data to drive our advancement decisions.
- As part of the program, traveling and visiting of trials across US may be needed.
- B.S. in Agronomy, Biology, Natural Science, or related fields.
- An individual with field experience, working with row crops, corn, soybean is preferred.
- A highly motivated individual with good communication and ability to work independently without constant supervision is highly desirable.
- Organizational and time management skills to handle multiple tasks and priorities, and meet deadlines with accurate, quality, and professional results.
- Ability to communicate, read, and interpret protocols and to carry out tasks with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work collaboratively in cross-functional and cross-cultural teams to achieve common goals.
- Proficient in the use of computers with basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Software, Excel Spreadsheet.
- Being detailed oriented with ability to collect accurate data in the field is essential.
- An agricultural background and willingness to spend his/her summer days outdoors are a preferred.
- This position reports to NA Field Trial Manager.
- This individual will be part of the Woodland California Plant Science team.
- This position will be based at our Woodland, California site.