Strain Improvement Platform Microbiologist
Boston MA /
Bioprocessing & Formulation Development /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
Produce and characterize microbial strains as potential hosts for engineering to create strains with agricultural applications; scale up candidate strains for greenhouse and field testing
- Plan and manage fermentation runs to produce biomass for on-plant testing and formulation studies
- Plan and manage scale-up of candidate strains to bench and pilot scale production
- Characterize and improve growth and productivity of strains as they are engineered
- 5+ years experience in fermentation microbiology in an industrial research environment
- Experience in a regulated industry
- Proficient in the use of ELN and LIMS software
- Experience supervising research associates and/or technicians
- PhD in microbiology, chemical engineering, biochemistry or equivalent experience
- Reports to Department Head, BioProcessing and Formulation Development
- This position will be based at our Boston, Massachusetts site and may require 5-10% travel. This position is up to 60% remote, dependent on lab and desk availability while the need for social distancing is significant.
Joyn Bio is committed to treating all applicants fairly without discrimination. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, physical characteristics, social origin, disability, union membership, religion, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any unlawful criterion under applicable law.