Head of Digital Science and Technology
Boston MA /
Digital Sciences & Technology /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo BioWorks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology to engineer microbes.
- This position is responsible for leading a department encompassing data science, scientific computing, and computational biology to enable discovery and development of new microbial leads for agriculture.
- Mentor and lead a cross-functional team in applying bioinformatics, data science, biostatistics, and software engineering to create the next generation of agricultural microbes. This team works collaboratively with colleagues across a wide range of disciplines, including Microbial Engineering, Plant Science, Fermentation/Formulation, and IT to solve problems in data analysis and experimental design from lab to commercial scale.
- Accountable for effectively managing team resources and strengthening a collaborative, customer-oriented culture focused on advancement of Joyn’s R&D pipeline. Through your leadership the team will accomplish this by active participation in cross-functional projects, training and the development of self service tools for other colleagues.
- Articulate a long term technical strategy for digital sciences and associated data management driving the Joyn R&D pipeline. This will include a flexible, stable and efficient set of tools for effective collaboration with scientific collaborators and balancing internal work with outsourcing to service providers.
- As member of Joyn leadership team, help to develop overall company scientific strategy and operationally steer budget and resources
- 8+ years of life science R&D experience with direct experience in computational biology, data science, or bioinformatics.
- Ph.D. (or equivalent combination of degree and experience) in bioinformatics, genomics, biostatistics, genetics or related discipline. Prior experience in microbiology/ microbiome studies, metabolic engineering, plant sciences or agriculture is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated prior supervisory experience as a team leader with a proven track record of leading, mentoring and engaging experienced staff, ideally in a matrix environment.
- Excellent communication skills and a proven track record of collaboration across disciplines.
- Agile/MVP mindset with a focus on delivering for incremental but potentially fluid needs.
- This position reports to Chief Science Officer or CEO.
- This position will supervise a team of 12 employees and contractors.
- This position will be based at Joyn’s Boston site with 5-10% travel.