PMI Molecular Biology Research Associate
Woodland CA /
Plant Science /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes. By engineering crop-colonizing microbes, we can develop a new class of biologicals that are sustainable and reach unprecedented levels of performance and reliability.
- Joyn Bio is looking for a Research Associate to support analysis of colonization as part of our Plant Microbe Interaction Platform. The successful candidate will contribute to developing and performing high throughput nucleic acid-based detection assays and screens, including extractions and qPCR to detect strains in greenhouse and field trial samples.
- Purify nucleic acids from cultured cells, plant and soil samples
- Perform routine qPCR and RT-qPCR with possible expansion to other technologies such as microscopy, plate assays (fluorescence/absorbance), LAMP, or similar
- Culture and enumerate microbe strains to support QC and analysis pipelines
- Assist in collecting and processing samples for downstream analysis
- Contribute to pipeline optimization through conducting studies aimed at increasing throughput and data quality
- Participate in the implementation of laboratory automation aimed at increasing throughput of our qPCR production platform
- Accurately and thoroughly document work and communicate results
- B.S. (or equivalent degree and experience) in molecular biology, microbiology, or related discipline with minimum 5 years of industry experience
- Molecular biology techniques – qPCR, DNA extraction and quantification, gel electrophoresis, using various liquid handlers, high throughput formats. Protein extraction and analysis experience a plus.
- Microbiology techniques – sterile technique, serial dilutions, dilution plating, aseptic sample handling, light microscopy
- Fluorescence microscopy and plate reader experience a plus.
- Experience with molecular detection and quantification of microbes in plant tissues is desirable
- Experience with laboratory automation solutions is highly desirable
- Excellent attention to detail, flexibility, strong communication skills, and team-player attitude are essential. Must be able to work independently to support departmental needs across a broad range of duties and scientific techniques.
- Will report to PMI Scientist II
- This position will be based at our Woodland, CA site and will require minimal travel