Head of Computational Biology
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo BioWorks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology to engineer microbes.
This position is responsible for developing and leading a computational biology group encompassing data science, data management, and bioinformatics to support discovery and development of new microbial leads for agriculture.
- Mentor and lead Joyn Bio computational biology team in applying bioinformatics, data science and biostatistics to create the next generation of agricultural microbes. This team works collaboratively with colleagues across a wide range of disciplines including microbiology, plant science, and fermentation to solve problems in data analysis and experimental design from lab to commercial scale.
- Responsible for developing long term strategy for computational biology and associated data management. This will also include ownership of associated IT platform including cloud services and outsourcing of activities via partners and contractors. The computational biology group also enables other colleagues via training and development of self service tools.
- Work in close partnership with colleagues at Ginkgo BioWorks to leverage existing infrastructure and collaboratively develop new platforms, applications and pipelines.
- As member of Joyn leadership team, help to develop overall company scientific strategy and operationally steer budget and resources.
- 5-7 years of industrial experience in computational biology, data science, biostatistics, or bioinformatics.
- Ph.D. (or equivalent combination of degree and experience) in bioinformatics, genomics, biostatistics, data science, or related discipline.
- Must have prior direct supervisory experience as a team leader with a proven track record of leading, mentoring and engaging people.
- Excellent communication skills and a proven track record of collaboration across disciplines.
- This position reports to Chief Science Officer.
- This position will supervise a team of five Research Scientists and contractors.
- This position will be preferably based at Joyn Bio’s Boston site but West Sacramento, California site would also be possible with regular travel between sites.