Senior Project Scientist - Microbial Engineering
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
The Senior/Project Scientist is a highly collaborative leadership role that leverages synthetic biology tools to deliver upon microbial engineering objectives for Joyn Projects.
- Mentor and manage a team of scientists with varying levels of experience.
- Work closely with program directors to deliver upon the high level microbial engineering objectives for a particular use case.
- Actively engage with project team to ensure that key stakeholders are aligned across the project.
- Work closely with the head of microbial engineering to develop a microbial engineering strategy that is aligned with the objectives for a particular project, and drive the technical strategy on a day to day basis.
- Draft and manage Technical Project Plans in collaboration with Joyn’s Computational Biology & Data Science Platform and Ginkgo Bioworks Foundry Personnel.
- Execute and oversee wet lab research to deliver upon microbial engineering project goals.
- Collaborate across Joyn Bio platforms in order to drive engineering projects forward.
- 5+ years of industrial experience in microbial engineering.
- Ph.D. (or equivalent combination of degree and experience) in biological engineering, biochemistry, microbiology, or a related discipline.
- Prior supervisory and project management experience is required.
- A proven track record of successfully engineering and deploying recombinant microbes.
- This position reports into the Head of Microbial Engineering and will be part of the microbial engineering leadership team.
- This individual will be part of the Boston-based Microbial Engineering team.
- This position will supervise a team.
This position will be based at our Boston, Massachusetts site and will require 5-10% travel.