Boston MA /
Digital Sciences & Technology /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
- The Bioinformatics research associate will work as part of the computational biology and data science department in their efforts to provide bioinformatics support for the fast-paced science by teams including microbial engineering and bioprocessing & fermentation department scientists.
- Provide ad-hoc support to scientists by providing technical guidance and bioinformatics support in the interpretation of their key R&D results from data generated using next-generation sequencing data.
- Independently implement, optimize and maintain bioinformatics tools or pipelines for analysis of diverse sequencing datasets.
- Create summary reports to generate understandable bioinformatics insights for R&D scientists.
- Collaborate with fellow team members to continually identify and implement analytical improvements to existing bioinformatics workflows.
- Be an overall champion of best data practices by working in partnership with fellow team members in making sure that the scripts and pipelines are version controlled, generated data is in standardized format and everything integrates seamlessly with our existing Data Commons architecture and strategy.
- MS degree (or BS degree with 2+ years of working experience in the industry) in the field of bioinformatics, computational biology, systems biology or equivalent;
- Knowledge of NGS methods (long and short read technologies) and the statistical principles behind the current best practices in high-throughput data analysis.
- First-hand technical experience in handling and analyzing high-throughput NGS data (genome assembly, RNA-seq, variant calling etc)
- Proficient in Python or R
- Familiarity with git version-control workflow
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be self-motivated, a quick learner, possess task-management & self-organizational skills, and ultimately love to take on new challenges as part of Joyn’s dynamic environment.
- Background or basic understanding of microbiology, bioprocessing molecular biology and genetic engineering techniques.
- Experience working with AWS cloud computing environment is a plus.
- Familiarity with scientific electronic lab notebooks and LIMS systems.
- Familiarity with workflow managers e.g. snakemake (preferred), luigi, ruffus etc.
- Demonstrated experience in creating pipelines using existing analysis tools to process data in an automated and efficient manner is a plus.
- This position will report to a Computational biologist within the Computational Biology and Data Science department.
This position will be based at our Boston, Massachusetts site and option for remote work negotiable.
Joyn Bio is committed to treating all applicants fairly without discrimination. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, physical characteristics, social origin, disability, union membership, religion, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any unlawful criterion under applicable law.