Senior Scientist Microbiology
Boston MA /
Microbial Engineering /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology to engineer microbes.
- Joyn Bio is looking for a Senior Scientist Microbiologist who will be the Team Lead for Gram Positive Organisms and contribute to the characterization, engineering and screening of R&D processes aimed at improving Gram positive microorganisms for large scale commercial agriculture applications.
- Ideate, design and execute experiments to characterize growth, domesticate and screen various Gram positive organisms.
- Work closely with the Head of Microbial Engineering and Program Directors to develop a strain engineering strategy that is aligned with defined objectives and drive the technical strategy on a day-to-day basis.
- Innovate and advance methods for increasing efficiency of Gram positive bacteria engineering and screening through development and implementation of HTP technologies to enhance Joyn Bio platforms and capabilities.
- Collaborate with the Microbial Engineering, Plant Microbe Interaction, Bioprocessing Formulation and Downstream Processing, Digital Sciences and Technology and Regulatory teams to develop commercially relevant processes.
- Draft and manage Technical Project Plans in collaboration with research partners and CROs.
- Support the Business Development and Alliance departments by identifying, evaluating and implementing new platform and technology strategies.
- Manage and mentor a team of 3-5 scientists with varying levels of experience.
- PhD with 5+ years (or MS with 8+ years) of industrial experience in microbiology, microbial physiology, molecular biology and/or related fields is required for consideration.
- Extensive experience with culturing and domesticating Gram positive bacteria with an emphasis on Bacillus species and sporulation is necessary.
- Proven track record and passion for developing and building HTP screening platforms.
- Must be a detail oriented, highly organized, and collaborative self-starter with excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Supervisory and project management experience necessary.
- Will report into the Head of Microbial Engineering.
- Lead a team of scientists and research associates.
- Sometime dedicated to working at the bench is necessary.
- This position will be based at our Boston, Massachusetts site, and will require minimal travel.
- Apply through our website at JoynBio.com