Greenhouse Specialist II
Woodland CA /
Plant Science /
Joyn Bio is an ag-biotech company developing more sustainable ways to feed the world. Started by agriculture and synthetic biology leaders Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks, Joyn Bio is engineering beneficial microbes found in the environment to improve naturally occurring processes like nitrogen fixation. With exclusive access to Ginkgo Bioworks’ automated foundries for biological engineering and Bayer’s crop science expertise, Joyn Bio is delivering the scale and power of synthetic biology to agriculture. Joyn Bio brings together scientists with diverse backgrounds at its two sites in Boston, Massachusetts and Woodland, California to develop new microbial solutions that address growers’ biggest challenges. For more information please visit www.joynbio.com.
- Support Controlled Environment Platform (CEP) horticulture and operational functions.
- Learn and support the operation of greenhouse control software.
- Support horticultural, fertilizer & irrigation system management and pest control activities.
- Irrigate, inspect plants for optimal health, inspect greenhouse systems for operation.
- Apply herbicides or pesticides safely with prescribed PPE and training.
- Calculate, mix, and dilute fertilizer stock solutions.
- Support logistics and protocol development for greenhouse assays. Contribute to the development of assay and logistics management software.
- B.S. in Biology or Horticulture.
- Minimum three years experience supporting greenhouse and horticulture operations.
- Inclination towards systems troubleshooting and on-the-fly critical thinking.
- Experience managing greenhouse controls software like Priva or Argus, and aptitude to learn novel, complex software rapidly.
- Ability to diagnose plant health factors: nutrient deficiencies, pests & pest symptoms, diseases, and abiotic factors
- Eye for detail, horticultural skills, safe work habits, ability to work unsupervised.
- Experience developing and following standard operating procedures with a critical eye towards efficiency.
- Proficiency with Office software, LIMS systems/Benchling, and other business software platforms.
- Safely lift 50 lbs.
- Experience supporting science controlled environment agriculture, plant physiology or pathology.
- Physical system maintenance and repair experience.
- Experience with remote sensing and data logging hardware.
- This position reports to the Greenhouse Manager at our Woodland, CA site.
- This is a full time position that may require regular or occasional weekend and holiday work.