Facilities & EH&S Manager
Boston MA /
Alliance Team /
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo BioWorks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes. This is an exciting opportunity to join a rapidly growing team with room for growth.
- Joyn Bio is looking for an energetic and organized individual to manage laboratory and safety operations within JoynBio. With inputs from the Microbial Engineering, BioProcess Development, and Plant Science teams, the successful candidate will play a vital role in developing and executing a safety strategy, overseeing expansion projects, and supporting lab operations managers across Joyn facilities, labs and greenhouses in Woodland, CA and Boston, MA.
- Manages contract with EH&S consulting firm to develop and implement a comprehensive safety strategy for all of Joyn.
- Serves as Safety Manager with responsibility to oversee laboratory safety and regulatory protocols and ensure that the facilities across all locations remain in compliance with all local, state and federal regulations.
- Manages contracts with construction project management consultants for facility expansion efforts.
- Serves as primary POC within Joyn for all Facilities expansion and operations, including attending weekly ops meeting and reporting on status.
- Collaborates with Ginkgo and Bayer facilities & lab operations personnel, as well as internal lab operations coordinators across Boston and Woodland locations for training, facilities, and lab operations needs/scheduling. Works closely with lab operations personnel in Woodland, CA and Boston, MA locations.
- Accountable for ensuring efficient lab operations through oversight of equipment and supplies, ensuring all reagents and SDS are organized, tracked and available when needed and ensuring that all instrumentations/equipment are within calibration and tracked appropriately. Escalates any issues or blockers to leadership.
- Undergraduate degree in scientific discipline required. Preference for MS/PhD in scientific discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years of direct facilities, lab, and/or EH&S experience in academic or corporate laboratory setting.
- At least 1-2 years experience in consultant management, facilities management, and/or EH&S implementation or management.
- Passionate about safety, prompting a safe work environment, and efficient lab operations.
- Excellent communication and listening skills across all levels.
- Organized with an ability to juggle multiple, competing priorities.
- Ability to influence without authority, specifically influence lab operations personnel reporting into various functions.
- Strong team player who can rapidly build positive relationships & proactively partner across teams.
- Excitement to work in a fast-paced, small company environment with multidisciplinary teams.
This position will report directly to the Head of Program & Alliance Management.
The position is preferably based at Joyn’s Boston, MA site, requiring up to 15% travel to Woodland, CA.
The position will be approximately 50% remote for the first 6-12 months