Scientist - Filamentous Fungal Engineering
Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks have joined forces, to form a new company that will build technology to enable microbes to improve key properties of agricultural crops. The company has laboratories in both Boston, MA, and West Sacramento, CA, where we will leverage the existing organism engineering and plant biologics capabilities of the parent companies. Primary corporate operations will be carried out at Ginkgo Bioworks' headquarters in the Boston Seaport.
The Joyn Bio team in Boston is looking for an experienced scientist to support our filamentous fungal engineering capabilities. If you are excited by the application of new technologies and are looking for professional growth, we highly encourage you to apply!
The primary responsibilities of the successful applicant will include:
- Develop methods for high throughput culturing and engineering of filamentous fungi using advanced and conventional genetic engineering techniques
- Evaluate a variety of microorganisms (including filamentous fungi and bacteria) for potential use as chassis for genetic engineering
- Direct strain engineering design, execute or oversee execution of experiments, analyze, and report on project results
- Work collaboratively with the foundry and other Scientists to deliver engineered microbes
- Communicate with internal and external collaborators
- Supervise, train, and develop junior scientists within the team
- Promote a positive, safe, and compliant work environment
- Generate intellectual property that provides value to the company
- Provide high attention to detail to ensure that all work is executed to the highest degree of ability and reproducibility
- Seek relevant opportunities to remain current on technological developments in the field
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Advanced degree in biotechnology, biochemistry, genetics, microbiology or related fields
- PhD degree with 2+ years of postdoctoral experience or MSc with 5+ years is preferred
- Industry experience is not required but would be advantageous.
- Successful experience in development of genetic engineering protocols and tools in filamentous fungi is required.
- Experience in engineering other organisms including yeast and bacteria is also a plus.
- Prior experience with heterologous enzyme production and purification
- Demonstrated passion for continuous educational and professional growth
To learn more about the company:
We are building a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with scientists and engineers from all walks of life. We can’t afford to leave any talent untapped. It is the policy of Joyn Bio to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.