Health, Safety, and Environmental Sustainability Lead
Boston MA /
Alliance Team /
Joyn Bio is an ag-biotech company developing more sustainable ways to feed the world. Started by agriculture and synthetic biology leaders Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks, Joyn Bio is engineering beneficial microbes found in the environment to improve naturally occurring processes like nitrogen fixation. With exclusive access to Ginkgo Bioworks’ automated foundries for biological engineering and Bayer’s crop science expertise, Joyn Bio is delivering the scale and power of synthetic biology to agriculture. Joyn Bio brings together scientists with diverse backgrounds at its two sites in Boston, Massachusetts and Woodland, California to develop new microbial solutions that address growers’ biggest challenges. For more information please visit www.joynbio.com.
- Joyn Bio is looking for an energetic and organized self-starter to manage safety activities across the organization. As a part of the Operations, Program Management, and Alliances team, the successful candidate will be passionate about building a ground up safety culture and working to create the systems and processes to support that. The HSES Lead takes responsibility for all aspects of safety for the organization.
- Plan, implement, and coordinate EHS program activities across the organization. Including but not limited to preventing occupational illness and injuries, improving employee engagement, ensuring site compliance, and reducing business risks and losses.
- Engage with safety consultants to assist in developing and administering safety program strategies (Biosafety, Chemical Hygiene, and Emergency Action Plan, Compliance Calendar, etc)
- Ensure chemical inventory and Safety Data Sheets remain up to date and readily available to support any required reporting
- Lead organization’s EHS committee
- Responsible for accident rate remediation; completes accident reports, conducts accident investigations, and investigates trends and adjusts department responses accordingly
- Participate in continual learning to stay up-to-date on compliance and regulatory changes
- Other safety duties as assigned
- Associate’s degree or higher preferred
- 5+ years of safety management or support experience
- Understanding of laboratory facilities, lab equipment, and safety systems and procedures, and shipping and receiving practices
- Attention to details, strong problem-solving, written, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to influence lab personnel without direct authority to create the envisioned safety culture of the organization.
- Ability to manage requirements across multiple sites and regulations, with a knack for knowing when to standardize and simplify vs. develop differential site policies
- Knowledge of APHIS regulations is highly desired but not required
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods and lift, push, or pull up to 50 lbs required
- This position will report to the Facilities and EHS Lead.
- This individual will be part of the Boston-based site operations team.
- This individual will collaborate with Joyn Bio Departments, as well as external stakeholders.
- This position will be based in Boston, MA.